Thread: connex the dots

mtbr member

connex the dots

Anyone got anything to say about Wipperman chains, particularly the s1 or sx chains? Particularly interested in strength / resistance to breaking, like after an ugly uphill shift...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Former Bike Wrench
    WAY overpriced...A Shimano CN 7701 is half the price of a ConneX 9s1 and is as strong or stronger plus shifts better than the Wipperman. If you want something lighter, look at the KMC X-9SL...again nearly half the price and at least equal or better performance.

...idios...
    I've had a ride or two on a 908 (same RRP as the XTR) and my only gripe is the factory grease The grease is thick like the stuff which used to come on Shimano chains and coats the entire chain, so I'm even picking up grit on the inside of the links.

edit (see below for evidence of error.)

In terms of performance, the 908 feels as taught (unstretchy) as the XTR/X9s I'm used to, and shifting is very clean and quiet. Time will tell how it stands up to the rigours of winter riding, but I've already removed the factory lube and it'll be replaced with either ProLink ProGold or, more likely given the shitty weather, Chain-L.
    Last edited by SteveUK; 12-01-2009 at 03:54 AM.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

um hmmm
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    The quick-link is a slightly different shape to the Powerlink/Missing Link I usually use (on XTR or KMC X9.93 chains) and I found that it skipped on the 11T sprocket of my virtually new XT cassette. I switched to a Powerlink and the problem disappeared..
    If you had skipping at the Connex link that means you installed it upside down.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFree

Yup it goes on so the "smile" is smiling on the top of the chain.

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFree
    I'll double-check that when I get back in...

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    I've had a ride or two on a 908 (same RRP as the XTR) and my two gripes are the factory grease and the Connex quick-link. The grease is thick like the stuff which used to come on Shimano chains and coats the entire chain, so I'm even picking up grit on the inside of the links. The quick-link is a slightly different shape to the Powerlink/Missing Link I usually use (on XTR or KMC X9.93 chains) and I found that it skipped on the 11T sprocket of my virtually new XT cassette. I switched to a Powerlink and the problem disappeared.

In terms of performance, the 908 feels as taught (unstretchy) as the XTR/X9s I'm used to, and shifting is very clean and quiet. Time will tell how it stands up to the rigours of winter riding, but I've already removed the factory lube and it'll be replaced with either ProLink ProGold or, more likely given the shitty weather, Chain-L.
    The link was installed backwards, that's what caused it to skip in the 11t. This is documented in the little manual dealy. I made the mistake too.

I really liked my Wipperman chain though. Shifted well. Didn't show much wear after many miles.

...idios...
    Well, I don't know what I've done with the Connex link, so I can't verify whether or not I had installed it incorrectly - quite happy to take your word for it, though.

Apologies to Connex/Wippermann (and all) for my misinformation, and appropriate edit made to my OP.
    Last edited by SteveUK; 12-01-2009 at 04:09 AM.