mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Confusion with Top/ Bottom Swing and Pull for Front Derailleur

What is the difference with the Top and bottom swing and top or bottom pull for a front derailleur? I have frame that I want to build up but I am getting confused by which front derailleur to buy. I only know it's a 34.9 tube. It has a cable running down the top tube and down the centre tube going to the front derailleur. (It's not the type where the cable runs under the bottom tube and up through the bottom of the frame.)

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Top Pull means the cable pulls from above the derailleur. That's what you want for your setup.

Bottom Swing, also referred to as "high clamp" or "Traditional", has a clamp above the derailleur cage and swings the cage on two parallel arms. This requires free space on the seat tube above the big chainring, not a problem on most traditional diamond frames.

Top Swing, also referred to as "low clamp", has a clamp that is hidden behind the derailleur cage. This is a newer style, designed with a crowded suspension frame in mind. The low clamp will not work on some frames with a crimped seat tube near the bottom bracket, or on frames with braces or fillets low on the seat tube.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Former Bike Wrench
    Some bottom swing derailluers won't work well on some hardtails or "traditional diamond frames" as well because they clamp where a bottle cage bolt is (or sometimes in between bolts). It can still be used...but you either can't use a cage there (if it falls right on the bolt, remove the bolt and its fine) or you have to space out your cage (if it falls in between).

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I believe all the Shimano 07 derailliers are both top & bottom pull capable, so you only need to worry about top or bottom clamp

Former Bike Wrench

SRAM too!

Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I believe all the Shimano 07 derailliers are both top & bottom pull capable, so you only need to worry about top or bottom clamp
    As are SRAM front derailluers