mtbr member
    Aug 2004

confused on front deraileurs

I just ordered a Litech frame. Calls for a 34.9 clamp and cables are routed from the top.
    I will be using 8speed stuff and all the deraileurs call for 9 speed. Will these work on the 8speed? I know the 9speed chain is thinner so not sure if it will drag on the inside of the deraileur. Jensonusa shows 6-8 fronts and they all look the same other then clamp hieght.
    I can also use a e-type derailer but not sure if I can use a normall BB or do I need one made for a e-type. I want to use the FSA Platnium Pro BB.

can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    Last edited by jsigone; 02-17-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    The thinner chain will actually reduce the chances that it will rub on a properly adjusted derailleur. I would not suggest the E-type due to limited adjustment options.
    Off season? What off season?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    I just ordered a Litech frame. Calls for a 34.9 clamp and cables are routed from the top.
    I will be using 8speed stuff and all the deraileurs call for 9 speed. Will these work on the 8speed? I know the 9speed chain is thinner so not sure if it will drag on the inside of the deraileur. Jensonusa shows 6-8 fronts and they all look the same other then clamp hieght.
    The 9 speed chain is 0.5 mm narrower than a 8 speed chain as well the 9 speed front derailleur cage is narrower than the 8 speed front derailleur. I would first try to find a good 8 speed front derailleur on e-bay. A lot of people do use 9 speed front derailleurs with 8 speed chains. As long as you have a good chainline and you make sure things are kept adjusted properly you should be fine, and no rubbing. Having a good chainline will be the big ticket here.

I can also use a e-type derailer but not sure if I can use a normall BB or do I need one made for a e-type. I want to use the FSA Platnium Pro BB.
    If you use a regular BB with an e-type FD, it will space the crank out 2.5 mm and wreck your chainline. I would highly advise against e-type front derailleurs, they are a complete piece of garbage as far as I am concerned. They do not allow you adjustment of height above the chainring. The diameter of different brands of chainrings are all slightly different even if they have the same number of teeth. Also, there is so much flex in the adapter bracket that even after you hit the HIGH limit screw you can push the shifter a little harder and overshift the large chainring. Not to mention the weight is brutal.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    so I can run the 9speed chain on the 8 speed setup? There won't be a prob on the cassette with the thinner chain? I'll stay away from the etype. Now I have to wait for the frame to get here so I can see if I need a high or low mount. I'm sure the high mount will work fine, but heard the low mount shifts better.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    so I can run the 9speed chain on the 8 speed setup? There won't be a prob on the cassette with the thinner chain? I'll stay away from the etype. Now I have to wait for the frame to get here so I can see if I need a high or low mount. I'm sure the high mount will work fine, but heard the low mount shifts better.
    There will be a problem. If you have an 8spd cassette use an 8spd chain.
    Off season? What off season?

Cheezy Rider
    I built one of those frames last year...they're crazy light. The only FD I found that would work--besides an e-type--is the SRAM Xgen. It has a longer cage than the other FDs I looked at, which you need because the large downtube forces you to mount the derailler pretty high on the seat tube. I have the 19" frame, might be different with other sizes. I don't think you'll find a top-swing derailler that will work with that frame.

There's a water bottle mount bolt that's right where the derailler needs to go, I had to grind a little metal off the bottem of the clamp to get it positioned correctly. I was running an 8-speed chain and had rubbing issues, but I didn't have the Xgen set up correctly. I recently upgraded to 9-speed and repositioned the Xgen, no rubbing now. I think it will work fine with an 8-speed chain.

There's a couple good threads about setting up the Xgen in the SRAM forum. I have one of the originals, the newer ones have a wider cage, less prone to rubbing.

Regarding the frame, I'd recommend having a shop chase the bottem bracket threads, mine had a lot of paint and I've heard others say the same. The posts for the rear brakes need to get cleaned too, mine had so much clearcoat I couldn't get the brakes on. The shop had a special tool for that, but you could probably sand it down yourself if you had to.

Have fun with the build!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm getting the 19" frame too. Can I run Shimano shifters with the SRAM FD?

mtbr member
    Yes you can.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

Cheezy Rider
    I did, but I just switched to SRAM X7s and I really like them. You have use a SRAM X-series RD witht them though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Actually, you can run a 9spd chain on an 8spd setup, I have for quite a while, lets you get away with the newer deraillers (although a properly adjusted frt der won't have a problem) and won't cause a problem with a cassette, and starting to be more readily available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I picked up a shimano XT 751, the cage looks long enough, they said the Xgen is a special order item and would take a week to get. So if this FD doens't work, I'll order the Xgen.

They were out of the FSA Platnium Pro BB so they recommended a Race Face Sig Series Gold, was about $15 more. I can't get this non drive threded side to come out, the assembly diagram shows there is a compression spring, but I can't get it to budge. I had no probs w/ the FSA on my other bike. I don't if it's me or if I should swap it for another one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    so I got the XT 751 FD on and its pretty much covering the bottom hole like you said. I'm thinking of finding a lower mount FD so I can use that bottle cage if needed. Still debating.