Thread: Confused.

Student

Bonking ... not feelin' well Confused.

For some reason I can not grasp the concept of adjusting the indexing on my Sram X-7 r.der. I actually own the Park Tool big blue book of repair, and I just finished reading the section. It's just not computing in my brain. I'm so embarrassed to ask for help but at the same time I'm so frustrated with the fact I can't understand it at the moment , I hope that an explination for one of you will spark my brain. Thanks Guys.
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    W/ SRAM systems, the barrel adjuster is located where the housing enters the shifter. W/ Shimano, it's where the housing enter the rear derailleur. Short and simple, after you have limit screws set (assuming they are):

1. w/ cable unclamped, make sure the chain is in the smallest cog. Turn the barell adjuster all the way in, and back it out about half a turn.

2. Pull the slack out of the cable and clamp it down.

3. Shift up one gear. If it doesn't click into place (directly under the second cog), turn the barrel adjuster out, until it is centered under the cog. If you have to turn the adjuster a lot, turn it back in, unclamp the cable, and pull it tighter.

4. If the chain shifts on the second cog and then some, turn the barell adjuster in and center it over the cog.

5. Keep shifting up the casette, making adjustments where necessary.

w/ SRAm systems, if you get it centered under the second cog, generally it will be dialed.

Hope that helps?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    W/ SRAM systems, the barrel adjuster is located where the housing enters the shifter. W/ Shimano, it's where the housing enter the rear derailleur. Short and simple, after you have limit screws set (assuming they are):

1. w/ cable unclamped, make sure the chain is in the smallest cog. Turn the barell adjuster all the way in, and back it out about half a turn.

2. Pull the slack out of the cable and clamp it down.

3. Shift up one gear. If it doesn't click into place (directly under the second cog), turn the barrel adjuster out, until it is centered under the cog. If you have to turn the adjuster a lot, turn it back in, unclamp the cable, and pull it tighter.

4. If the chain shifts on the second cog and then some, turn the barell adjuster in and center it over the cog.

5. Keep shifting up the casette, making adjustments where necessary.

w/ SRAm systems, if you get it centered under the second cog, generally it will be dialed.

Hope that helps?
    Thanks I really appreciate the time you took to answer my trivial question. I get it now, sometimes and outside source telling me how to do something can make a world of difference. Thanks again
    Cheers,
    CR11
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]