mtbr member
    Oct 2007

complete 29er bike, full suspension, rohloff

7 NOV 07

Sounds like you need to be pretty slick with tools to build a bike using a rohloff hub. Is anyone commercially building complete 29er full suspension bikes with a rohloff hub? I remember from my youth, when a ten speed bike was all the rage, that my Schwinn Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub was much the quicker shifter in any kind of variable terrain. The rapid shift with a much greater gear range is very appealing. More interested in a sturdy fun bike than a racer. Let's not completely break the bank either, please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kwolicki
    .....Is anyone commercially building complete 29er full suspension bikes with a rohloff hub?......
    Try Van Dessel

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by kwolicki
    7 NOV 07

Sounds like you need to be pretty slick with tools to build a bike using a rohloff hub. Is anyone commercially building complete 29er full suspension bikes with a rohloff hub? I remember from my youth, when a ten speed bike was all the rage, that my Schwinn Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub was much the quicker shifter in any kind of variable terrain. The rapid shift with a much greater gear range is very appealing. More interested in a sturdy fun bike than a racer. Let's not completely break the bank either, please.

Building a bike that uses a Rohloff hub is just like building a bike that uses a derailleur system.

The fiddly bit is setting up the cables, apart from that, it's very easy to do.

You can retro-fit a whole lot of bikes with a Rohloff Speedhub and doing it all yourself just isn't that hard. It's not rocket science...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I greatly admire your confidence, and while being fairly dexterous (I am a surgeon), I am at a place in my life where between spending time diddling with the adjustments, and trying to keep the grease from under my fingernails (just looks bad) , I would prefer to have professional help. No way I would pretend to lace and true a wheel, any more than you would do a tonsillectomy. That is one of the great attractions of the Rohloff hub; it purportedly does not require lots of adjustment once installed correctly. I am understandably nervous that my LBS might have minimal to no experience with this, and there I am again without a support resource. Dreaming and planning, in mixed proportions. thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    It's not rocket science...

R.
    Not rocket science, just regular old geometry though!

OP asked about a 29" FS with a Rohloff. To do it clean, without a tensioner, one needs a FS design that has zero chain growth i.e. - pivots around the BB - like the old Lenz design, or Deans:

http://www.deanbikes.com/mountain/Ace%2029r/ace29.htm

Enjoy.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member

bump

Well...? After all the great feedback - what's your decision?

"It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Bug Brett at Niner Bikes. He should be able to hook you up.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Members who have read this thread: 0