mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Competition for XX1?

I have been out of the bike buying game for a long time, and recently thought about getting a new steed. XX1 initially really appealed to me because of the low weight and high gear range. Then I heard that with SRAM shifters, you can only shift down like two gears at a time. That is a big minus for me- I like how on Shimano shifters, you can drop like five gears and get into a much lower gear if you come around a corner with a hill right in your face.
    So- is what I heard about the SRAM shifters' inability to dump gears true?
    Since SRAM is unlikely to change their design to allow me to dump more gears, is Shimano going to have a similar system anytime soon?
    Otherwise- I will just stick with my quite old 3x8 with Suntour thumbshifters from 1995!
    Thanks!
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Competition for XX1?

With my XX1 gripshift, I can dump all of my gears, instantly. No complaints.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hm. Not a fan of Gripshift. I agree you can dump gears, but I prefer triggers.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I read the down shift only two gears nonsense all the time. On my X5/X7 trigger setup I can down shift 4 gears in one full downshift. The only time I don't have 4 gears is if there are less than 4 to drop as in I hit a limiter.. I'd guess its possible newer/higher grade SRAM products are less capable, but I doubt that.

IMO / more likely the case is: lack of knowledge on how to use the shifter, incorrect shifter placement, child size hands and/or a combo of any or all ways to fail. My wife rides a petite frame, wears girls or woman's XXS riding gloves and has no issues dropping 3 gears any more exceeds her range of motion while holding the grip. Her SRAM trigger shifters are one year older than mine. I'm not closed mined to the idea things may have changed. Either way nothing beats a dialed in cockpit.
    Ellsworth Epiphany - 27.5/650b conversion
    `09 Cannondale 29er F4 - Dog walking bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You heard incorrectly. XX1(or XX, X0, X9 for that matter) all can grab multiple lower gears. I am not sure if it is more than 3, but I know XX1 will grab at least 3. Now it only goes to higher gears one at a time, but the thumb shifter is uses easy to manipulate short click shifts for 11 very quick cog changes going to higher gearing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the tips, guys. Hopefully I will be able to make a demo ride before plunking down cash.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Buddy of mine runs SRAM on a Camber Comp and it goes down 4/up 1. His is nothing higher than X5, maybe X7. My Shimano XT goes down 4/ up 2 so not much difference.