Thread: Compatibility

Special Lister

Compatibility

I could not find an answer anywhere so if you know where one is please link it.
    I just bought a new to me DH Phoenix bike. Since i have snow on the ground I decided to break it down and clean, lube, grease it. So I have not actually ridden it.
    I have a 11-34(9spd) cassette on a 36T front ring with a X9 RD and a X0 shifter both are 10 speed. Do you see any potential problems? I may decide to go to a 11-28 10 spd cassette.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    4. And the bummer, their 10-speed MTB derailleurs are not compatible with their 9-speed MTB drivetrains!
    from Spin Doctor Tech Tip – 10 Speed MTB Drivetrain Compatibility The Performance Bicycle Blog

all this 10 sp/9sp stuf kinda sucks.....
    occasional cyclist

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsayers View Post
    I could not find an answer anywhere so if you know where one is please link it.
    I just bought a new to me DH Phoenix bike. Since i have snow on the ground I decided to break it down and clean, lube, grease it. So I have not actually ridden it.
    I have a 11-34(9spd) cassette on a 36T front ring with a X9 RD and a X0 shifter both are 10 speed. Do you see any potential problems? I may decide to go to a 11-28 10 spd cassette.
    You can not use a 9-sp cassette with a 10-sp shifter with any system, and mtb 10-sp rear derailleurs are not compatible with 9-sp shifters.

Get the 10-sp cassette and you are golden.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Special Lister
    Thanks bro