Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Clutch Broken on XT Shadow Plus

First off let me state I LOVE MY SHADOW plus!
    It is awesome, it combined with my chain guide removes all chain slap. Not a single noise escapes the combo.

But, yesterday while riding I noticed some chain noise from the rear and stopped to make sure the clutch was engaged. It was so I figured I was just riding extra badazz that day (ya right).

Today I was checking over the bike making sure everything is tip-top for a trip to Santos tomorrow. I checked the tension on the der and found that engaged or disengaged the tension was the same. So I figured I should adjust the clutch in the der and which should stop the chain noise.

I opened up the der to find that the tension adjusting clamp for the clutch band broke on the backside at the bend and wasn't providing any tension on the clutch band. I can only assume this will be warrantied and if it isn't then I can only assume this little part is really cheap.

I also apparently have the new version that does not have the adjusting wrench included inside of the casing. You are supposed to use needle nose pliers to adjust the tension nut.

The der works perfect other than the clutch doesn't work at all so I'm going to use it tomorrow and have it warrantied on Monday. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up and show the pics.

Clutch Broken on XT Shadow Plus-image-9.jpg
    How it appeared when I opened it up

Clutch Broken on XT Shadow Plus-image-10.jpg
    The broken piece

Clutch Broken on XT Shadow Plus-image-11.jpg
    It is really broken, that is the clutch cam it surrounds on the left and on the right is the tension adjusting nut

Clutch Broken on XT Shadow Plus-image-12.jpg
    How it is supposed to look on the clutch cam

mtbr member
    Time to call Shimano. They will take care of you, they have good customer care, just explain to them the situation and they will probably just send you out a new one.

Seems like a few of these have been breaking lately in the same spot. Also appears to be with the XT versions. I purchased an XTR version when the clutch mechanism was first released by Shimano back in 2011, and so far mine has not given me any issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good if its a known issue they will fix it fast then!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just got the same unit -- thanks for the heads-up!

I also apparently have the new version that does not have the adjusting wrench included inside of the casing. You are supposed to use needle nose pliers to adjust the tension nut.
    My high-school auto teacher would be having a hissy-fit about now

A 5.5mm ignition wrench fits perfectly. I got a "midget Craftsman wrench set" off ebay for about $12 delivered -- the other wrenches in the kit could be useful for other small work.

A 7/32" wrench is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was going to use a 7/32 wrench I hate pliers as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Same thing happened on my SLX, they warrantied in less than a week.

Now I've got an even weireder issue where it feels like the clutch is notchy, and engaged even when I set it to "off."

It's awesome how you can deal with them directly and their warranty is awesome, but I think there is still some engineering to be done with the Shadow+. I'll just keep sending em back, as a new derailleur every ~3 months is not a bad deal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    Now I've got an even weirder issue where it feels like the clutch is notchy, and engaged even when I set it to "off."
    I would check for dirt inside of the roller clutch which is the saw blade shaped part that the tension band surrounds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I cleaned it with a q-tip, but was afraid to hit it with isopropyl for fear of messing it up. Shimano said clearly in their service instructions that you are not supposed to lubricate it either.

squish, squish in da fish
    thats sucks, but shimano will def take care of you fast. bummer that its was broke for your ride. if you know a welder he could through a couple tacks on that in 5 seconds. you'll probably get a whole new RD, my dust cover fell off my zee shifter and i inquired about buying a new one and 2 days later i had a new shifter in the mailbox. CS is awesome.

mtbr member

Just had my second XT Shadow+ break yesterday. My LBS and Shimano took care of the last one quickly and I expect no different when I take this one in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Fishwrinkle-- I am a fairly decent welder but the metal is so thin it would have to be such low heat that the weld wouldn't be much better than chewing gum
    And the weld would add a lot bulk that there isn't room for

The lbs already 2 dayed the der it should be back by Saturday or Monday

yeah i was thinking of an in a pinch solution. i fab with sheet metal all day, that looks like about 16ga, thats on the thick end of what i work with. 17.6V 190 ipm would get you nice flat tacks. i knew you'd have a new RD quickly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ha okay I use a big blue 700 the thinnest stuff I'll weld is 1/8th inch. Im pretty sure my welder isn't capable of turning down that low.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just noticed my XT Shadow Plus clutch is not working....Only had it for a couple of months.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The clutch plate is what, a 3 cent part? Shimano should just call it a wear item, and stock shops with them until they can figure out a more robust design. It'd be a sh1tload cheaper than sending everybody new derailleurs every time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ^^^ yep it would be and unless your shop is a "shimano authorized dealer" they can't just call them up and say " hey this is broken I need a new one" they have to return the part to shimano and let them decide.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Took it apart and sure enough it's that piece with the adjuster on it.

So they won't send me a new piece? It's really easy to replace.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    Shimano said clearly in their service instructions that you are not supposed to lubricate it either.
    That's weird, they show a tube of grease with a part # in the exploded view.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Took it apart and sure enough it's that piece with the adjuster on it.

So they won't send me a new piece? It's really easy to replace.
    Call them and try
    It didn't help me my lbs had to send it off

thats weird, the xt's are having most of the problems b/c i've been running a zee for several months w/ no probs. i would assume that it is the same part from the trickle down, no?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    thats weird, the xt's are having most of the problems b/c i've been running a zee for several months w/ no probs. i would assume that it is the same part from the trickle down, no?
    Could be the abuse it's taking? I have a feeling that piece is a "break away part" made to fail before major damage occurs on terrain that exceeds its ability.

I bet those of us who break them will keep breaking them.

oh i see, it could be

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I bet those of us who break them will keep breaking them.
    I would think this is right and I'm fine with it as long as Shimano let's me buy them a dozen at a time to replace them

mtbr member

Mine is broken again. Third one.

Shimano should just sell that little bracket that keeps breaking. I'd keep a couple on hand. Then I wouldn't have take off my derailleur. Take it to the LBS. Wait for Shimano to warranty it. Repeat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Or just engineer it so it doesn't break -- better metal or a little more of it. It isn't a wear item, and should last as long as the rest of the derailleur. This is a design flaw.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast