Currently in Exile

Cllicking noise from bottom bracket

I have a Blur with a Stylo (2009) crankset. I have recently developed a clicking noise from the bottom bracket. I know that it isn't the seatpost because it still happens when I'm standing. I tried pedaling with one foot and the sound only happens when I am using the non-drive side.It could be the pedal, but I don't think so. I checked the tesion on the allen bolt and jam nut and it seemed good.

Any idieas of what I can do to stop the annoying sound?
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Frozenspokes,

The clicking sound you are experiencing could be caused by a number of reasons.
    I would check the most obvious offenders first:

1) Clean and re-tighten B.B
    2) Is the NDS crankarm good and tight?
    3) Check pedals for tightness - how's the condition of your cleats (if you have them)?
    4) Loose or contaminated pivots/bearings
    5) Frayed housing

Good Luck

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by cort
    Frozenspokes,

The clicking sound you are experiencing could be caused by a number of reasons.
    I would check the most obvious offenders first:

1) Clean and re-tighten B.B
    2) Is the NDS crankarm good and tight?
    3) Check pedals for tightness - how's the condition of your cleats (if you have them)?
    4) Loose or contaminated pivots/bearings
    5) Frayed housing

Good Luck
    My plan for today:

Clean everything. I have been riding some VERY muddy trails the past few weeks and that could be a factor.

Yes, the NDS crankarm is on tight. But, I will be pulling it off to clean everything anyway so I will verify the torque when I put it back on.

Pedals are tight.

This is a first generation Blur. They are famous for pivots that squeak. I don't have the tools available here to work the pivot issue but I will make sure everything is clean and check for play in the pivots while I have the BB out.

Cable housing is new as I installed new drivetrain last fall.

Thanks for the reply.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

ups and downs
    Clicking can also be caused by a dry bearing in the BB, the balls click together when they run over the top of the race and collide into the next one across the free space between the balls.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had a similiar clicking noise that I thought was the suspension....cleaned bb (drive side was contaminated) and its been quiet since...so hopefully you will get same result.