mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Which clips for these Shimano pedals?

I need to replace the clips for these Shimano pedals. They must be 15-20 years old but nicely broken in and I like them.

Any historian's out there that can tell me which Shimano clips I need? I got a set of SM-SH56 but they don't have enough "tooth" at the back to interface with the back of the pedal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which clips for these Shimano pedals?-img00046-20100219-0925.jpg  

Which clips for these Shimano pedals?-img00047-20100219-0925.jpg  

Which clips for these Shimano pedals?-img00049-20100219-0926.jpg  

Which clips for these Shimano pedals?-img00050-20100219-0926.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know the "cleats" you need but from the looks of those pedals I'd say they've reached their useful life. They're beyond broken in. I'm sure you can find some new pedals you'll like even more.

Former Bike Wrench
    Those are Onza pedals from the mid 90's...get rid of them and buy new pedals. Shimano cleats will not work with them.

Haven't seen an Onza pedal in ages! Was curious so went to ebay and whaddya know http://cgi.ebay.com/OnZa-Cleats-6-10...item20af7affa9
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Former Bike Wrench
    The problem with the Onza pedals is it uses elastomer for the retention spring. When they were new this caused them to be very temperature sensitive (they came with different elastomers but who is going to change them out before rides?).

Second, we all know elastomer wears out and based on the pictures the OP posted, those are getting there...so the OP can pay $25 for new cleats or pay $30 for a quality set of new pedals...including new cleats.

I'm not recommending the Onza pedals, think they went away for good reason, and elastomers certainly don't age well IME. But since the OP was wondering what cleats go with his well broken in "Shimano" pedals, thought I'd post up that link. I just wonder who did the breaking in? I was more amazed you could still find some cleats. I really have to scrounge for Ritchey v.2 cleats (well, the multi release ones), to go with my well broken in fleet of v.2 pedals....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique