mtbr member

Clipless pedals for trailbike

Hi,

I have been riding with clips and straps for the past 10 years, and once tried SPD pedals. I would like to try clipless again on my new trailbike.

I need lots of float, would like adjustable tension or at least be VERY easy to get out of in a near-crash scenario.

I am willing to spend up to 150 for the pedals.

I also need a pair of shoes to go with them.

Thanks,
    Steve

Chrome Toaster
    If you want lots of float go with Time or Eggbeaters. Unfortunately they have no release tension adjustment. Shimano is the only one with tension adjustment but they have the least float with no adjustment to increase it. $150 will get you a nice set of pretty high end pedals. Look at Crank Bothers Eggbeaters, Time ATAC, and Shimano 959, 540, or 520's

Curtlo Hardtail(liatdraH)

My first clipless

I went with Times after some research on clipless, I liked the float, and the egg beaters didn't exist yet. They seemed impossible to get out of when I first got them now after several years of using them, I hardly notice them. None of the pedals with good float have tension adjustment that I know of, Slippery Frogs, Time and Beaters. I like my Times.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

willtsmith_nwi

I recommend AGAINST SPD ...

Quote Originally Posted by soulfly_NYC
    Hi,

I have been riding with clips and straps for the past 10 years, and once tried SPD pedals. I would like to try clipless again on my new trailbike.

I need lots of float, would like adjustable tension or at least be VERY easy to get out of in a near-crash scenario.

Thanks,
    Steve
    SPD gets clogged up in the mud too easily.

Egg Beaters, Time and Speedplay seem to have the best reputation.

Where I ride, egg-beaters are king. Personally, I rode straps for a VERY long time. My first pair of strapless pedals are the Mallet-C which provide a VERY big platform in addition to the 4 sided egg-beater system.

BTW, Egg Beaters don't need adjustable tension because the springs behave a little difference. There is not "pre-tension" that keeps you in. Instead, they act a bit like a Chinese finger trap. The harder you pull up from them, the harder they bite the cleat. Exit is a matter of twisting the heel as in any system.

On many systems, if you set the spring tension too loose, you can pull out of the cleats while pedalling. That doesn't happen with Egg beaters (unless you bang the mechanism against a rock).

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    SPD gets clogged up in the mud too easily.

Egg Beaters, Time and Speedplay seem to have the best reputation.

Where I ride, egg-beaters are king. Personally, I rode straps for a VERY long time. My first pair of strapless pedals are the Mallet-C which provide a VERY big platform in addition to the 4 sided egg-beater system.

BTW, Egg Beaters don't need adjustable tension because the springs behave a little difference. There is not "pre-tension" that keeps you in. Instead, they act a bit like a Chinese finger trap. The harder you pull up from them, the harder they bite the cleat. Exit is a matter of twisting the heel as in any system.

On many systems, if you set the spring tension too loose, you can pull out of the cleats while pedalling. That doesn't happen with Egg beaters (unless you bang the mechanism against a rock).
    Incorrect sir, the latest generation of SPD's are as good in mud as anything else, this is not even a matter of discussion anymore. Don't just take my word for it. Eggbeaters are very good but I would recommend the standard version, not the silly candy gimmick. Don't get the or the mallets unless you absolutely need the platform either. What those platforms do is negate the biggest advantage of this pedal which is the 4 sided entry. Might as well just go with Time then since its essentially the same binding mechanism. The biggest issue with Eggs is their durability. They require regular periodic maintenance or they literally fall apart. They can develop play rather fast. For durability Shimano and Time are unquestionably superior in that sense. They can go for years of extreme abuse with no maintenance.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    That's kind of a contradiction. With lots of float your feet can move around and you won't unclip. With less float, your foot doesn't have to twist as far for it to release, so it's usually one or the other.

Eggbeaters have a decent amount of float, and are fairly easy to get out of, although they don't seem to release in as many directions as shimano pedals do. They don't have adjustable tension obviously. Time pedals may better suit you.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Who are the brain police?

My vote..

Hi,

Thanks,
    Steve

I've been loving the Time ATAC Z's. Very dependable. No accidental releases and clipping out is very easy. They work well in the mud too.

You can save $50 get these pedals with a pair of shoes for $100. The pedals alone retail $99, but I'm sure you could find them cheaper.... http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/126...C-Z-Pedals.htm
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us