mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Clipless pedal options these days?

A few years ago I pretty much stopped riding fast XC stuff, and was more into the trials/ technical side of the equation. But because of back problems, I am having to lay off of trials for a time, and am thinking of some new clipless pedals. I have some old Time ATAC's laying around which always worked great, even in the mud, but they are pretty chunky. Is there anything else out there right now which can compare in the wet weather performance, and which has a reasonably large foot platform, so my feet don't fall asleep all the time? The Eggbeaters look attractive, but I seem to remember people complaining about their bearings.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tim
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

120 pounds of xc sex!

yup

Well, I think my egg beaters, have developed a tiny bit of play (very little) over 1.5 years time, but I dont think I ride as much as everyone else does. Everything wears out, so just get what you like. They work well for me, and are very durable, but i hear the rebuild kits for the eggs are sometimes free (with a call) or very cheap, fyi.
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Good job! Atac Xs

Try the new Atac XS

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    crank brothers candy SL!

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller
    A few years ago I pretty much stopped riding fast XC stuff, and was more into the trials/ technical side of the equation. But because of back problems, I am having to lay off of trials for a time, and am thinking of some new clipless pedals. I have some old Time ATAC's laying around which always worked great, even in the mud, but they are pretty chunky. Is there anything else out there right now which can compare in the wet weather performance, and which has a reasonably large foot platform, so my feet don't fall asleep all the time? The Eggbeaters look attractive, but I seem to remember people complaining about their bearings.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tim
    Are the atacs broken or just too heavy? The nice thing about atacs -not the junko Al ones- is that they last forever. I still have my first pair and they have to be at least 6 or 7 years old. The bearings are fine, but I WORE THROUGH THE SPRING with my cleats. I actually still use those very same pedals on my crappy weather bike broken spring and all.

My 0.02:

Stick with the atacs, unless you are super weight conscious, then go with the crankbros and deal with the durability issue. besides aren't eggbeaters pretty cheap relative to time pedals?
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member

Clipless

I know I'm in the minority on peddle choice but I've tried several brands including atacs and my Speedplay frogs are my favorite. I found the shimano's to have an unpredictable release point that had my life flashing before my eyes. The Times are my second choice but can be hard to get out of in an emergency. I liked Bebops while riding but entry is a very precise process. The frogs are easy entry and exit, there very light and until the time and eggbeaters came out were the best mud peddles around. The thing I like best about them is that they will hold you 100% unless you turn to the right position to get out. Plus there made in San Diego.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

eggbeaters

eggbeaters are awesome. if youre concerned about bearings, get a higher model, the higher the models, the better the bearings and the lighter the pedals are. the candy SLs are nice aswell, i personnally ride eggbeaters.
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."
    George Gobol.