Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

clipless pedal

765 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  jrafter 
#1 ·
what do you all look for in a clipless pedal.........do you try to match the shoe with the pedal.

just looking for some thing new....i have mavic alpine shoes.

#2 ·
There are a few cleat systems out there and the cleat and pedal MUST match. Most, but not all of the shoes will accept most cleats. Start by deciding which pedal system is most suited to your needs, then explore what shoes are available that would work with it. Don't buy either until you've decided on both.

If you already have shoes, or want particular shoes for any reason, do the process backward. Find out which cleat system your shoe will accept, then shop for the appropriate pedal.

#6 ·
jrafter said:
i was thinking about the size of the foot print and comfort.......eggbeaters are small.

maybe stiffness of the shoe will make up for that.

lots of pedals out there.
In most cases, the size of the pedal doesn't matter, but if you have wide feet the length of the spindle does, because in some cases the foot will be too far outboard on the pedal. Ideally the center of the pedal platform should be on the centerline of your foot. The forces are transferred through the cleat to the sole of the shoe, and most are stiff enough that they don't depend on the pedal itself for support.

A wider platform is better if you have pronation, because it helps better stabilize the cleat against twisting and rocking forces. What you want is the best, most stable pedal cleat interface, then the shoe does the rest. Besides that, you want a solid engagement, with a smooth dis-engagement, then reliability and ease of service.

Hopefully, other fans and anti-fans of various pedals will post. I'm mainly a roadie, and not in general a fan of any of the mtb cleat systems because of a few bad experiences with premature dis-engagement. overall, I feel my mtb pedal experience it too limited to give you any info you could take to the bank.

#7 ·
i wasnt going to get clipless pedals.....i have crankbrothers 5050 platform right now.

but i got the mavic eggbeater combo....just because and i will try them out.

havent got them yet mails kinda slow getting here ...only comes in 2 times a week if there no sand storms.

i might try a shimano pedal.

thanks for the info it gives me a place to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.