Retro Grouch
    Jun 2004

Clip+Platform pedals: Time Vs. Crank Bros.

I really wanted a set of combo clip/platform pedals and stupidly bought a closeout pair of Wellgo POS pedals that the cleat wouldn't work with my Diadora Chili shoes. (Had I read the MTBR product review I would have known ::slap, slap:

Anyhow, I've narrowed it down to the Crank Bros Mallet pedals vs. the Time Z pedals (either the regular or "control").

I've had good luck with my old school Time ATAC pedals that came on my Mt. Tam, I just need a platform pedal for when I want to jump on the bike and ride it to the bar and whatnot and don't want to hassle with my cycling shoes.

What are your recommendations? Whats the diff between the Z and the Z Control pedals, just the surface machining?

FWIW, when I ride offroad, my area tends to be muddy more often than not, so I'm curious which pedal mechanism is a better mud shredder.

Thx,

-Kev

Quote Originally Posted by ButtGumbo
    I really wanted a set of combo clip/platform pedals and stupidly bought a closeout pair of Wellgo POS pedals that the cleat wouldn't work with my Diadora Chili shoes. (Had I read the MTBR product review I would have known ::slap, slap:

Anyhow, I've narrowed it down to the Crank Bros Mallet pedals vs. the Time Z pedals (either the regular or "control").

I've had good luck with my old school Time ATAC pedals that came on my Mt. Tam, I just need a platform pedal for when I want to jump on the bike and ride it to the bar and whatnot and don't want to hassle with my cycling shoes.

What are your recommendations? Whats the diff between the Z and the Z Control pedals, just the surface machining?

FWIW, when I ride offroad, my area tends to be muddy more often than not, so I'm curious which pedal mechanism is a better mud shredder.

Thx,

-Kev

I have been very happy with Times (atacs) for several years.

Tried the Z's for a while and did not like them. Aside from being heavy, I did not benefit from having the platform at all while riding on trails (clipped in), and they were slippery as hell bombing around the hood in sneakers. Granted I was using them in the wet season, so sneakers + wet aluminum == slippery surface. Maybe if you are just cruising up to the bar (not jumping curbs and whatnot) they are fine -- but I can do that on regular times w/o the platform...

No experience w/ crank bros.

Retro Grouch
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    I have been very happy with Times (atacs) for several years.

Tried the Z's for a while and did not like them. Aside from being heavy, I did not benefit from having the platform at all while riding on trails (clipped in), and they were slippery as hell bombing around the hood in sneakers. Granted I was using them in the wet season, so sneakers + wet aluminum == slippery surface. Maybe if you are just cruising up to the bar (not jumping curbs and whatnot) they are fine -- but I can do that on regular times w/o the platform...

No experience w/ crank bros.
    Thx Frank...when I bomb locally I usually use a soft sole skater shoe (Van's Cabellero style) that may dig into the pedal a little more...I DO hop curbs and drunks and whatever else is in my way...my old-school ATAC pedals have proven too slick to ride without wearing my cycling shoes...the Z pedals can't be any worse, can they? I need SOMETHING that I can mount and just ride in my casual footwear...if the Z's aren't the answer, what might be?

THX,

-BG

Quote Originally Posted by ButtGumbo
    Thx Frank...when I bomb locally I usually use a soft sole skater shoe (Van's Cabellero style) that may dig into the pedal a little more...I DO hop curbs and drunks and whatever else is in my way...my old-school ATAC pedals have proven too slick to ride without wearing my cycling shoes...the Z pedals can't be any worse, can they? I need SOMETHING that I can mount and just ride in my casual footwear...if the Z's aren't the answer, what might be?

THX,

-BG
    If I were in your position, I'd be tempted to try the crank bros big platform pedal - whatever it is called.

However they look "really big" which might not be cool when you are trail riding, might have a tendency to catch the ground more than a lower profile pedal? I have no experience with them so who knows. Just thinking out loud.

I was tempted to get eggs a while back but was scared away by numerous reports of bad bearings... that issue has probably been resolved (?) but it was enough for me at the time to stick with the times.

Z's aren't worse than regular atacs but they aren't that very good for that purpose either even with sticky soled vans half cabs on your feet. There just isn't anything on the pedal to dig into, nothing sharp, and the rounded clipless mechanism bar things stick up and is more slippery than the rest of the pedal body.

Will it work, sure, but it's barely any better than regular atacs for that purpose and not at all comparable to a real platform pedal.

Just my opinion.

Retro Grouch
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    If I were in your position, I'd be tempted to try the crank bros big platform pedal - whatever it is called.

However they look "really big" which might not be cool when you are trail riding, might have a tendency to catch the ground more than a lower profile pedal? I have no experience with them so who knows. Just thinking out loud.

I was tempted to get eggs a while back but was scared away by numerous reports of bad bearings... that issue has probably been resolved (?) but it was enough for me at the time to stick with the times.

Z's aren't worse than regular atacs but they aren't that very good for that purpose either even with sticky soled vans half cabs on your feet. There just isn't anything on the pedal to dig into, nothing sharp, and the rounded clipless mechanism bar things stick up and is more slippery than the rest of the pedal body.

Will it work, sure, but it's barely any better than regular atacs for that purpose and not at all comparable to a real platform pedal.

Just my opinion.
    Thanks FnB...thats a helpful observtion. Wouldn't it be cool if Time had tapped some holes on the platform surface so you could add additional studs if the rider wanted to? I also share your opinion on the Crank Bros. mallets...they look HUGE. I need to see some in person I guess.

BG

mtbr member

Mr. Gumbo

I have the Time Z and I think it is a very good pedal. I also wanted something for just general use. They ARE slippery when new. I have a year on them, and all the bashing on the rocks has fixed the slippery issue. I don't know why people would want to ride unclipped, but I like them for starting on hills after dabbing. One thing to watch is if the shoe is not really stiff it can bend and get interference with the pedal. I have specialized comp's and had to get the dremel out for the inner lugs. LOL

Retro Grouch
    Jun 2004
    I have Diadora Chilis that seem pretty darn stiff. I think I may try out a set of these...The "control" model has machined platform surfaces...maybe they would be a little tackier from the outset.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    i was in the same situation as you. just for giggles i grabbed a decent pair of platforms and started riding with them for everything: trail, thrashing, trips to get beer. i havent put my time atacs back on the bike yet and it has been a month.

the biggest problem with all (i have only tried mallets and shimano) of the clip-platforms that i experimented with / test rode was that the clip mechanism sits above the platform surface and keeps your shoe from properly contacting the pedal.

another problem is that these combo-pedals are actually closer to bear trap type pedals than true platforms. platforms in my opinion perform better than bear traps.

try riding just platforms.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Actually I recommend just trimming the soles of your shoes. That way they'll work fine with your wellgo pedals. Other than that there's no telling that you won't have the same issues with either of the other pedals you mention.

Oh and I find riding with my regular Time Atacs short distances is no different than riding with so called clipless pedals with platforms. So little of the foot makes contact with the platform(due to the retention mechanism sticking up) that with or without platforms seems to make very little difference.

mtbr member
    I'm riding both Time ATAC (including the Z) and CB Mallets.

The Mallets are by far the most platform like pedals around, and the only clipless platform that I can easily bunny hop wearing regular shoes. They are a bit of a pain to set up, you have to correctly shin the cleats so your soles don't hang up on the cage. Traction is good when wet, although not anything like pinned platforms. They are currently my favorite technical pedal.

The Time Z (non-machined surface) are very much like the ALIUMs, and are difficult to bunnyhop with regular shoes. Surface is slippery when wet. However, the platform makes engaging the cleat easier.

Both are excellent in mud, snow & ice.

The Times are more rugged, and require less maintenance.

Cheers,

Tom

Eat your fruit
    Apr 2004

Winwood platforms are an option

I just installed these yesterday on my hardtail's ATACs for neighborhood/store run rides without cleats. Makes the pedal taller but is a really large platform.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2122

I tried unsuccessfully to get the platforms to release under a twisting load (just like a shoe) to know where the limit is. Your riding style is likely more aggressive.

BerryBoy