squish is good

Climbing with a chainguide?

Okay, I started out as a primarily a XC rider but I'm using my bike for alot more downhill and shuttle runs lately and it has a tendancy to throw the chain at the most inopportune times so I'm considering running a chainguide. Is it going to compromise climbing abilities much (I ride an '05 Reign)? All my buddies who run one shriek at the though of pedaling uphill though they all ride 6" rigs and they're downright opposed to the idea despite not having anything close to an informed opinion. Thoughts anyone?

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Well the easiest way to find out is to just leave the front derailleur in whatever gear you're gonna run with the chain guide and ride. Why not get one of those double ring compatible chain guides for the bike?

squish is good
    Yeah, I meant if I got one that allowed for a 22 granny gear and a 36 middle ring. Every bike I've ridden that has one makes a racket but pedaling doesn't seem to be affected big time, but I've always been pointed down some crazy downhill trail. I know little things get amplified when your on that 2-hour slog in the granny gear up a fireroad and was just looking to see if any risidual drag should be expected if I go with one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've got a blackspire chain guide on my prophet and it doesn't seem to bother me to much. I'm running 24, 36 but I've noticed that with the stock guide wheel that the blackspire comes with then when I'm on the 24 my chain rubs my 36, but if I go get a new 10USD wheel then it will prevent it from doing that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome
    I've got a blackspire chain guide on my prophet and it doesn't seem to bother me to much. I'm running 24, 36 but I've noticed that with the stock guide wheel that the blackspire comes with then when I'm on the 24 my chain rubs my 36, but if I go get a new 10USD wheel then it will prevent it from doing that.
    i just got a phophet...love to see a pic of your bike, how did you put the stinger on...what with the uncommon FD and tightness down near the bb...put stinger on first then FD or vice versa

thanks
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006