mtbr member
    Apr 2005

clicking near bottom bracket

Whenever I put force on the drivetrain or stand up and peddle, I hear a loud clicking noise near the bottom bracket. Anyone have an idea what this might be and how to fix it?

Tracking up the place
    Quote Originally Posted by teleski69
    Whenever I put force on the drivetrain or stand up and peddle, I hear a loud clicking noise near the bottom bracket. Anyone have an idea what this might be and how to fix it?

Is it HT or FS?

Areas of click I noticed:

Pivot bolt loose.
    seat rail needed cleaned and regrease and reset
    pedals have devloped play between plastic bit and metal part (Times)
    loose crank bolts
    loose chainring bolts
    fatigue stress n handlebars need to replace ( this actually happened to me)

Just a few for you to look around at.

GL
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teleski69
    I had a very similar problem. Took off the cranks, pulled out the Bottom Bracked. One of the lockrings was plastic, and seemed a little loose in the thread. Took some plain white plumbing tape, put a couple of layers on the plastic ring. Put the bracket back in, tightened everything, the problem went away. You will probably need 2 tools. Crank Remover and BB puller, which shouldn't run you more than $25 at your local bike shop.

Hope that helps.
    [edit] just for the "DUH!" factor, make sure your pedals and cranks are indeed tightened in their sockets before taking the whole shebang apart. Sorry. I do tech support for a living.

Crumb-tumbler
    Hmmm. Last time I heard a clicking from the bottom bracket area, I found that my bottom bracket had come completely unpressed. It was in three loose parts in the bb shell. I'm still using the bb but it workes fine if I keep it tightened in the shell. I'm broke--that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, it could be a whole bunch of things, there's a lot of bolts in that area of a bike. If you have a full-suspension bike, an easy way to check it one of the pivot or shock bolts is loose is to put the back brake on, pull the bike up on the back wheel and try to push the bike forward and backwards (with the brake still locked). Any clicking? If yes, it could be a pivot/shock bolt. If no, then look at the drivetrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    Everyone is so angry, and they're even angrier if people don't think like they do. Damnit, don't you think like me? NO? DIE!!! It's like road rage. Just because people aren't discussing exactly what you want, as you like it to be discussed, they must be all wrong. That's just all wrong. Your disgust at my disgust at your disgust is disgusting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirrill
    I had a very similar problem. Took off the cranks, pulled out the Bottom Bracked. One of the lockrings was plastic, and seemed a little loose in the thread. Took some plain white plumbing tape, put a couple of layers on the plastic ring. Put the bracket back in, tightened everything, the problem went away. You will probably need 2 tools. Crank Remover and BB puller, which shouldn't run you more than $25 at your local bike shop.

Hope that helps.
    [edit] just for the "DUH!" factor, make sure your pedals and cranks are indeed tightened in their sockets before taking the whole shebang apart. Sorry. I do tech support for a living.
    The BB is the most likely culprit. Quick way to check without pulling everything apart - flip the bike over and press down hard on the crankarms with your arms (you may need to lean your weight on it). You may hear the click - you may even be able to see the BB cups move in the shell. Rotate the crank, do it again, keep doing it until you are satisfied that the BB is/isn't making the noise.

As noted above, plumbing tape is the fix, albiet a temporary one. The tape will eventually get pushed out and you'll have to redo it.

Curtlo Hardtail(liatdraH)

Crank arm is likely

In my experience, when I have heard the dreaded noises in the BB area, it's turned out to be my crank arm. I have had the problem with both square taper and ISIS.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liatdraH
    In my experience, when I have heard the dreaded noises in the BB area, it's turned out to be my crank arm. I have had the problem with both square taper and ISIS.
    Yeah, I've got that problem with an ISIS crankarm right now (a Hussefelt). I reattached itwithout enough grease and it's been creaking like a mofo. Never had that problem with square taper - they seem to round out before they creak.

Overall I've had more problems with BB's clicking and creaking than crankarms. Maybe just my bad luck with frames or the guys who chased the threads were a bit overzealous.