mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Clicking coming from 08 XT Crankset

My XT Crank set and/or BB is clicking under load it seems on my new build. Bike has less then 100 miles on it and its clicking away.

The sound only happens when I load up the crank, even with the bike stopped applying brakes so I'm pretty sure its the cranks/BB.

Any thoughts on this? I plan to take it in to my shop this week.

mtbr member
    If you have the tools, check the ring bolts are tight then strip the arms out and make sure everythings seated and tightened correctly. Before doing any of this though, check your pedals! Otherwise its the local shop.

mtbr member
    Have you tried lubing your seatpost?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    Have you tried lubing your seatpost?
    I thought it might be the seat but its not as the sound happens when out of the seat cranking as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by capthorat
    If you have the tools, check the ring bolts are tight then strip the arms out and make sure everythings seated and tightened correctly. Before doing any of this though, check your pedals! Otherwise its the local shop.
    Good idea about checking the pedals. I don't have the tools to do anything else so I'll check the pedals then off to the shop.

ballbuster

Full suspension bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Olis1
    My XT Crank set and/or BB is clicking under load it seems on my new build. Bike has less then 100 miles on it and its clicking away.

The sound only happens when I load up the crank, even with the bike stopped applying brakes so I'm pretty sure its the cranks/BB.

Any thoughts on this? I plan to take it in to my shop this week.
    I had a main pivot bearing go bad on me. I could swear it was a bad crank, but it was the pivot. I've also had a click in the seat rails that gave me a similar sound when cranking.

When I first installed a set of external bearing LX cranks, the cups backed out even though they were torqued to spec. Check to be sure the cups are seated and snug.

Also check the pedal bearings. Not sure how you would isolate it other than install another set of pedals and see if it goes away.

If its a new bike that you bought built up, you might want to see if your LBS can take a look at it for you. That should be part of why you bought it form them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I had a main pivot bearing go bad on me. I could swear it was a bad crank, but it was the pivot. I've also had a click in the seat rails that gave me a similar sound when cranking.

When I first installed a set of external bearing LX cranks, the cups backed out even though they were torqued to spec. Check to be sure the cups are seated and snug.

Also check the pedal bearings. Not sure how you would isolate it other than install another set of pedals and see if it goes away.

If its a new bike that you bought built up, you might want to see if your LBS can take a look at it for you. That should be part of why you bought it form them.
    Yep, I'm sure my bike shop will take care of me but in the mean time I'm trying to get ideas on what kinds of problems others have experienced. My guess is something has come loose in the first 100 miles.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    The two times I had clicking noises that I could swear were coming from the crank (when pedaling hard) turned out to be a not so tight QR and a loose cassette.

The other day I had another clicking noise that I was pretty much sure was coming from the headset or from the the forks crown, but it ended up being the rear wheel that wasn't happy. Opened the QR and tightened it again and problem solved. So basically the source of the noise was on the other end of bike.

Truth is, noises propagate through the frame, and it's very hard to pinpoint its source. Check everything you can remember of.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amrgb
    The two times I had clicking noises that I could swear were coming from the crank (when pedaling hard) turned out to be a not so tight QR and a loose cassette.

The other day I had another clicking noise that I was pretty much sure was coming from the headset or from the the forks crown, but it ended up being the rear wheel that wasn't happy. Opened the QR and tightened it again and problem solved. So basically the source of the noise was on the other end of bike.

Truth is, noises propagate through the frame, and it's very hard to pinpoint its source. Check everything you can remember of.
    Yep, someone else was mentioning QR on rear could cause this noise as well. I'm going to check out the bike more thoroughly tonight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well guys, I think I fixed it. I took of the rear well and cleaned up the surfaces and put it back on and ensured the qr was tight and seated correctly and took the bike for a quick spin around the neighborhood. No clicking coming for the cranks even with some heavy leaving on the pedals so I'll assume its fixed. I ride this weekend will help verify for sure. Thanks for the help. May have saved me a trip to the bike shop.

Jon

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Cool, glad to know