Thread: cleats

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

cleats

I am a cheap SOB and refuse to replace some stuff until it is really dead. My shoes are case in point. I finally broke down and got some Sidi's. Anyway now I need to put some cleats on the bottom of em' I took my old cleats off , they worked fine in my spd-520's . But upon inspection the cleats look pretty darn worn, They are sh-50's which are no longer made. I did a little research and some sites said that the sh-50's have no float and the standard sh-51's have a little float. I don't want to come out with upward pull's so the sh-55's are out. Anyone have any experience switching from the sh-50 to the 51 ? How much difference would I notice going with the sh-51. I know ...just try it it's only $20, but if I dont like them it will bug me that a threw out $20

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank
    I am a cheap SOB and refuse to replace some stuff until it is really dead. My shoes are case in point. I finally broke down and got some Sidi's. Anyway now I need to put some cleats on the bottom of em' I took my old cleats off , they worked fine in my spd-520's . But upon inspection the cleats look pretty darn worn, They are sh-50's which are no longer made. I did a little research and some sites said that the sh-50's have no float and the standard sh-51's have a little float. I don't want to come out with upward pull's so the sh-55's are out. Anyone have any experience switching from the sh-50 to the 51 ? How much difference would I notice going with the sh-51. I know ...just try it it's only $20, but if I dont like them it will bug me that a threw out $20
    If you can not get the 50 and do not want the 55 what choice do you have?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If I wasn't also an "Old Crank", I'd sell you some of my stash from the Feb 05 Nashbar deal of the ?. Shimano PD-M525's with the cleats you seek for $26.95. You might check Harriscyclery.com. You will have to give them a call since they do not list their vast stock. Hope this helps. P.S.....the other cleats will only frustrate IMO.

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If you can not get the 50 and do not want the 55 what choice do you have?
    Yeah, stupid question. I could always clean up the old ones, fire a little grease on the threads and hope for the best.

Do the Sh-51's have an easier release action? or do they just rotate more?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I didn't think it was a stupid question at all. I have sh51's for all my shimano pedals and there is a small bit of float, but don't know if they will replace the 50's safely. Not sure why Shiggy thinks 55's are the only other option to the 50's though. Of course I probably just misread it....again. If you call Speedgoat bike shop(it's toll free :-) they can tell you if the 51's will do you for the pedals you have. They're very knowledgeable and helpful. I would think the shimano site would also list what cleats fit with what pedals, but since it's such a large corporation who knows. I too wouldn't use the 55's for mtb'ing. They seem to defeat the purpose of being clipped in if an upward force can disengage them. Shoot every rock and root would be a potential for disaster. Just me though.