mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Cleaning XO shifters

I was curious to what most are doing to clean their XO trigger shifters (or similar)? I'm rebuilding my ride for the upcoming season and after removing the covers would like to thoroughly clean them and relube.

Do most totally disassemble? or just submerge in a cleaning solution and brush clean?

I'm leaning towards a total disassembly and inspection but have never did this before and am a little nervous.

Any opinoins?

David

I Have Cookies
    If they are not hanging up I'd leave them as is and just give them a new set of cables and housings to "freshen" things up. If they are full of mud and crud and hanging up/not returning, the guys @ my LBS have a "Sram Shifter Fixer" called WD40. Just flush it out with a liberal ammount of WD and re lube it with a good quality grease like Triflow or Phil's.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    I'd let that WD40 dry out before applying the lube as it can break down the grease (that is its job after all). Maybe gently blow it dry with a compressor and air tip but carefully. Otherwise- good plan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I understand what you guys are talking about, but w/o a total disassembly, how are you going to get grease on all of the contact surfaces of the parts?

David