mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Cleaning Chain, Etc.

I've pretty much decided how I'm going to clean my new mountain bike after riding it. It's a Haro V4, 26 speed. I've done a lot of reading on how to maintain and clean your bike and all. I don't plan on spending a lot of money on anything, so my plan is to clean my chain lightly with WD-40 (yes, I know people don't recommend using WD-40, but the places I bike are quite sandy and I need a good cleaner) Then after cleaning, I'm going to spray the chain down with a penetrating lubricant. The rest of the drivetrain I'm going to keep clean by scrubbing with a detergent and also using a lubricant afterwards. It seems like the stock grease that was on the chain when I bought the bike attracts a whole lot of grime from the trail and that, of course, isn't good for anything. I could practically hear the stuff grinding like paste and I don't want THAT to happen again.

Is there anything wrong with using a stripped-down cleaning method like this?

...idios...
    WD40 is a solvent. If you use it to remove the dirt and old lube from your chain, you'll have to use something else, like Isopropyl Alcohol, to remove the WD40. If you don't, whatever fresh lubrication you apply to the chain will be 'diluted' by the remaining sovent and won't bond properly to the metal of the chain. How you lube a chain depends on which product you use, but there are only a few methods that will get your chain clean enough to get the most out of whichever lube you choose. The method I use is mentioned in the cleaning and maintanence guide which is linked below in my signature. If your chain is properly lubed, there is no need to add any lube to the rest of the drivetrain. Less is generally better; the more excess lube there is on your drivetrain, the more dirt it's going to attract.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well, Steve, I guess I won't be using my novel idea for cleaning a chain..LOL. Thanks for the tip!

Members who have read this thread: 0