Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    willtsmith_nwi
    Reputation: willtsmith_nwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,966

    Clamp on cable guides ...

    I would like to go to full cables on my Giant Yukon. But I also want to move the cable from underneath the top tub to OVER the top tube so the bike doesn't rest on the cables when it's sitting on a bike carrier.

    Are there any parts out there that clamp onto a top tube to provide 3 standard cable guides???? I have no problem with Zip ties on the fork, but for this application, I'd like to keep the cables in their proper place.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    I've used the stick on guides for over a year with good results. They are very secure. I went to full housing on my rear brake because my old frame had the stops on the right side but I wanted to run V brakes.

    stick-on cable guides:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=CA707Z01

    I've yet to see a clamp on cable guide with three slots. The closest thing that I've seen is a clamp on cable stop with two slots. You could make it into a guide by drilling it out so that the full housing can pass through, but it's still only 2 slots. I used this to convert my bottom pull der. to a top pull.

    Clamp-on cable stop (They have sifferent sizes):
    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...id=TK-105A/38B

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    18

    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but...

    could you describe or post a picture of your rear brake cable setup. I'm in the process of installing v-brakes on an older steel frame, and I'm kind of struggling with it.

    Thanks.

    Ron

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidgringo
    could you describe or post a picture of your rear brake cable setup. I'm in the process of installing v-brakes on an older steel frame, and I'm kind of struggling with it.

    Thanks.

    Ron
    Here's my FS bike that I ran full housing for the rear brake. The main reason that I did this was because I didn't like the down tube routing of the front der. cable. I used the frames cable stops on the left side for my front der. cable and then added the Problem solvers stick on guides for my rear brake cable. If you look closely, you can also see the clamp-on cable stop on my seat tube to enable the use of a top pull derailleur.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    18

    Thanks for the picture.

    That's exactly what I did last night, and it seems like it will work well. Have you had any problems with the housing popping out of the guide while riding?

    Thanks again for posting the pic.

    Ron

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidgringo
    That's exactly what I did last night, and it seems like it will work well. Have you had any problems with the housing popping out of the guide while riding?

    Thanks again for posting the pic.

    Ron
    No problem with the housing coming out. The zip tie, in the picture, wraps around the housing and holds it in.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtpaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by motomc
    Here's my FS bike that I ran full housing for the rear brake. The main reason that I did this was because I didn't like the down tube routing of the front der. cable. I used the frames cable stops on the left side for my front der. cable and then added the Problem solvers stick on guides for my rear brake cable. If you look closely, you can also see the clamp-on cable stop on my seat tube to enable the use of a top pull derailleur.
    Good advice.
    I think I will setup my KHS frame like this too.
    Thanks for sharin'
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

  8. #8
    .
    Reputation: frank n. beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    804

    Stick on guides suck

    I have tried them but they always came off within a month or two. Tried them on frame, fork, etc. Just a matter of time. They do work, just not for very long. Personally I would recommend not wasting your money on those little overpriced pieces of plastic.

    Strictly opinion from here down:

    I really like down tube cable routing. Clean, simple, less friction / bends than top tube routing... what didn't you like about it? Just curious.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    I have tried them but they always came off within a month or two. Tried them on frame, fork, etc. Just a matter of time. They do work, just not for very long. Personally I would recommend not wasting your money on those little overpriced pieces of plastic.

    Strictly opinion from here down:

    I really like down tube cable routing. Clean, simple, less friction / bends than top tube routing... what didn't you like about it? Just curious.
    I've had good luck with the stick on guides, going on over a year. I don't expect them to last forever. I do agree that they are over priced, though. As far as top vs. down tube routing it's just my personal preferance. I have no doubt that bottom pull works great. I just don't want a cable looping under my bottom bracket shell.

Similar Threads

  1. missaligned cable guides
    By wingzz in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 06:09 AM
  2. cable guides
    By Eric C. in forum Specialized
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 01:02 PM
  3. Jamis Komodo cable routing help...
    By Rollin'in'Zona in forum Jamis
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 03:29 PM
  4. Help can't use my Flak Jacket cable set
    By Oz_cycling in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 02:14 PM
  5. cable routing
    By muddy sox in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •