Riding a Rig.

Chronic Creaking Problem.

I'm getting a creaking from the bb area on my bike. It mainly happens when I pedal hard. Have had the BB taken out twice now. I can't figure out whats causing it... is my BB failing?

EDIT: one other thing. It always happens when I'm pushing down on the drive side. I don't think I've ever heard it when pushing down on the non-drive side.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Did you....

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    I'm getting a creaking from the bb area on my bike. It mainly happens when I pedal hard. Have had the BB taken out twice now. I can't figure out whats causing it... is my BB failing?

EDIT: one other thing. It always happens when I'm pushing down on the drive side. I don't think I've ever heard it when pushing down on the non-drive side.
    get creaking when you were up out of saddle pumping? If it is aluminum frams, sound is hard to track down. Reason I asked about out of saddle is it can be seat creaking.

Riding a Rig.
    yep, happens when out of the saddle. Happened on two different frames even, the old frame had a crack in the bb area... I definatly think its the BB because it always happens in the same place in the pedal stroke.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Have you tried...

yep, happens when out of the saddle. Happened on two different frames even, the old frame had a crack in the bb area... I definatly think its the BB because it always happens in the same place in the pedal stroke.
    greasing the BB theads again? Or trying teflon tape on them?

Who are the brain police?
    Better yet, use anti-seize (holds up better than grease) and teflon tape...and torque down to spec.

Also, sound travels in a weird way on frames.. originates in one place then resonates in another.. If you have the time, start taking pieces apart, clean, grease, & torque down. I'd even use grease in places like stem-bar interface, seatpost-seat interface etc.. done it for years w/ no creaks (since I started doing this)..
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Riding a Rig.
    well. I don't have the tools to pull the crank or take the BB out, but I did just have the front triangle changed out... I guess I need to invest in the tools eh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    well. I don't have the tools to pull the crank or take the BB out, but I did just have the front triangle changed out... I guess I need to invest in the tools eh?

You may want to check the chainring bolts. Sometimes they can loosen up just enough to creak. I just had to tighten mine and the noise is all gone.

Riding a Rig.
    I've checked those a few times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    what kind of BB?

ISIS, splined, or square?