mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Chris King Ceramic BB - durability report?

Hi,

I know that the Chris King ceramic bb has not been out on the market for too long, but I was hoping that those of you who bought them when they were released could share a few words on the durability of the bearings. Has anyone noticed any wear?

Would you still go ceramic, or is there any reason to go for the stainless steel bearing version, apart from the price?

Plays with tools
    The stainless version is one of the best BB's on the market. Given King's reputation I think it's a safe bet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

simply the best period

I have 3 CK ceramic BB's in my mtbs.
    Why?
    They are the best made.
    Make sure you get the grease injector and instalation tool, service frequently with a high quality ceramic grease. Interestingly Ck doesn't recommend a grease, but I'm using the finish line product with good results.
    A bonus is the crease injector also fits the cK headsets, woo hoo CK; way to go.
    After a local wet ride that killed my disk pads, 42km, a shot of grease and the BB was fine, while others on the ride are stumping up for new BB's. Shimano & Sram.........lol

as Shelson once said "grease is cheap, Brg's aren't!!!!!!!!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Stainless is my favorite. Why? Just easy keeps smooth rolling.

I'll say it: The Emperor Has No Clothes. Or is it, the KING?

I think a Shimano XT is a better deal.

The King stainless BB is just a hair heavier, but not significantly so. The street price of the King is about three times as much, maybe 4.5 times as much when you throw in the grease injector tool. With the King, you have to tear it apart a couple times a year. And if you speak to them directly, they will recommend COMPLETE disassembly and cleaning of the bearings. It's an inconvenience. Shimano doesn't recommend servicing their BB's.

I'll get about 1000 miles out of an XT BB, without service. I've only run King once, and got just over 3,000 miles before a bearing failed. That's 3x as many miles as I got out of the Shimano. But it cost me 3x as much. Plus, when the Shimanos go bad, they just start feeling rumbly; the King failed in a way that required immediate replacement.

King DID replace the failed BB, but it took weeks to do so.

When you factor in the cost of the injection tool and the inconvenience of frequent service, I think the Shimano comes out to be a better deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had R12 bearings in my unicycles they never failed and I could not make them fail. This includes using the unicycle as a pogo stick and leaving it out in the rain for 20 years. The modern BB is too small it has not kept up with the secular trends in Human growth. My next bicycle will have an American BB at first I thought of making an adaptor to use a 47mm bearing with a BB 30 axle but this turns out to be illegal. so I will be using a BMX axle with a 47mm bearing they encourage this type of experiment.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    I am in the market for a new bb so i am subscribing to this thread.
    I personally want a ceramic BB for all the right reasons, but wil likely go with a steel XT unit for the cost and low maint.