Fat guy on a bike

Chosing right derailers, etc.

My bike is a 02 spec. hardrock comp (stats: here)

Basically i am confused about what model # for the front derailer. I am looking at an XT or LX and i know its pull down, but from there on I am not sure which one is the right match. The dual pull models seem right, but theres a couple different models and i am not sure of the differences.

The rear i am probably going to put an LX as my existing one is beat to hell and hard to keep tuned.

Also, how much value would i get out of replacing the rest of the drive train, casset, etc?

I can't afford the desired whole bike upgrade for a few months so i need to get this bike working well for my training/weightloss. I am a big guy so i put plenty of torque on these components.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Go XT. You get more for your money.

Don't forget to look at sram components in addition to shimano. They are generally less expensive, and the rear is a 1:1 actuation, instead of 1:2 like shimano, so IMO it's easier to tune.

Giggitty giggitty!!
    Mordy, it's a somewhat simple formula = if you ride a lot and are wearing out components go with something higher end - it [generally] last longer, takes more abuse and delivers smoother shifting.

However, for your front derailleur you can go with a new ALIVIO FD-M410 since you have 8 speed (thankfully Shimano has made buying a Front Der. brainless now with their dual pull multi-clamp design). Don't go above Alivio because they are 9 speed and it won't work. Don't bother upgrading your drivetrain. Save your money and invest in a complete new rig when the time is right. Turn that bike into a winter bike or a commuter and put more into a new one. You'll get a better rounded package.

Since your a big guy you will be better suited with a new bike that is more 'off-road' worthy if that is what you are doing/want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by kev1n
    Don't forget to look at sram components in addition to shimano. They are generally less expensive, and the rear is a 1:1 actuation, instead of 1:2 like shimano, so IMO it's easier to tune.
    Now this is why you have to be specific on a chat forum. You could look into SRAM components but SRAM's Rear Derailleurs will not work with your Shimano shifters since the actuation ratio is different. You can look at SRAM if you want to change both the shifters and derailleurs. IMHO - if it ain't broke don't fix it (re: the shifters).

Fat guy on a bike
    Oddly enough the FD-M410 doesn't seem to be very available. I found 1 on ebay, but none of the major online folks seem to have it. I'll see if my bid lasts

I am gonna be putting a lot of miles on the bike over the next few months, but nothing too demanding offroad.