(slight return)

Check out this Raceface crank spline wear

I developed some play in my raceface cranks a couple rides ago and finally go around to removing them this morning. Check out these worn splines. Is this kind of wear normal? Play seemed to start after I bashed the drive side crank pretty hard on a rock. Anyone else have this happen? These are raceface evolve xc cranks.

Thanks
    slide

p.s. Now looking for replacement cranks...

1) Drive side splines
    2) Closeup
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    At least you were able to get it off the bike! Mine's stuck on...can't get the bloody thing off!

Looks bad tho....was it loose before you took it down?

All 26.5" all the time!
    Why is there paint in the "worn" areas?

Looks like those pockets were casting flaws. They've probably been there since the day that crank was made.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon
    I developed some play in my raceface cranks a couple rides ago and finally go around to removing them this morning. Check out these worn splines. Is this kind of wear normal? Play seemed to start after I bashed the drive side crank pretty hard on a rock. Anyone else have this happen? These are raceface evolve xc cranks.

Thanks
    slide

1) Drive side splines
    2) Closeup

looks like they broached the splines offset from the cast features (ie. they most likely rough cast the splined profile, then machine (ie. broach) the splines as a separate operation...the divots are pre-forged so that less material needs to be machined away... in this case it looks like the cast features are clocked from the actual machined pattern... which leads to the scalloped out spline tip on one side of each tooth... not helping the wear since there is less material contact at the tips...

you should return it to your LBS and point that out... it's a quality issue IMO... race face should replace under warranty...

cheers

(P.S. whether cast or forged, my point remains the same... the clocking of the machining operation of the splines appears to be off)
    Last edited by LCW; 07-14-2008 at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Considering that it's forged (not cast), I'm gonna venture a wild guess that there aren't any casting flaws.

(slight return)
    Hey, thanks for the info. I hadn't considered that the manufacturing angle. I dropped a note to raceface, hopefully they're willing to take a look. They've been pretty responsive in the past.

-slide

Waiting for Godot
    my raceface evolve xc had the same problem. i just filled them with the strongest locktight, let it dry over night and it would last for six months of heavy crank/mashing that i could put into them.

getting them off is another story........
    now they are on my snow bike. still turning
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

mtbr member
    I'm having the exact same problem with my evolve xc crank splines. I'm interested to know if anyone has had luck getting a replacement from Race Face. Or is the loctite fix the way to go?

(slight return)
    No reply from Raceface - couldn't get anyone on the phone, and they never replied to my email. I needed to get my bike running quickly for a road trip so I replaced the cranks and the old ones are sitting in a box in my garage, If you have any success with them can you post back here?

Thanks
    -slide

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon

Thanks
    slide

1) Drive side splines
    2) Closeup

If you develop play in crank arms; you pull them off then, not two rides later. These two rides can destroy the crank arm/bb interface rendering both into useless junk .....soundz like they might still work for a snow bike, huh?

Not bustin' yer nuts, just the reality of it. Get sum Saints and be done w/it.
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 10-22-2008 at 07:03 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

ups and downs
    That looks pretty normal, here's a couple of shots of a set of Deus cranks that don't have wobbly spline interface syndrome and they look pretty much the same as the set that developed the wobbly interface and were replaced under warranty. It does appear that those dimples are part of the forging process and the splines sort of mostly match up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drrock
    I'm having the exact same problem with my evolve xc crank splines. I'm interested to know if anyone has had luck getting a replacement from Race Face. Or is the loctite fix the way to go?
    I had the same thing happen to me last week. Crank started to wobble, I stopped & tried to tighten the crank bolt but it WAS TIGHT!! I limped it back home a few miles. Once home I took them apart & found that the interface was shot (just like the pictures). Even with the crank bolt tight, there is some noticeable play. The one thing that was loose was the cap that fits over the crank bolt. Once the cap was tightened, the play disappeared. It seems like the cap is re-aligning the crank to the spindle by putting pressure against the crank bolt flange. Being in a pinch, I did what anyone without a tub of loctite would have done.... I filled the splines full of JB Weld(to take up any slop), put it all back together, tightened the crank bolt / cap until I thought it would strip, and let bake in the sun for most of the day. I have 30+ miles on them after the fix and they seem to be solid for now
    It would be interesting to hear if Race Face will warranty the cranks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MC9.5
    I had the same thing happen to me last week. Crank started to wobble, I stopped & tried to tighten the crank bolt but it WAS TIGHT!! I limped it back home a few miles. Once home I took them apart & found that the interface was shot (just like the pictures). Even with the crank bolt tight, there is some noticeable play. The one thing that was loose was the cap that fits over the crank bolt. Once the cap was tightened, the play disappeared. It seems like the cap is re-aligning the crank to the spindle by putting pressure against the crank bolt flange. Being in a pinch, I did what anyone without a tub of loctite would have done.... I filled the splines full of JB Weld(to take up any slop), put it all back together, tightened the crank bolt / cap until I thought it would strip, and let bake in the sun for most of the day. I have 30+ miles on them after the fix and they seem to be solid for now
    It would be interesting to hear if Race Face will warranty the cranks...
    I cant wait to see your post when it comes time to change your BB

EDR
    RF cranks are very well known for interface issues. And no...you won't get any replies back to your emails or phone calls. Mine hit the garbage can a year ago after getting zero response from RF and I now use XT cranks. XT's are simple and bombproof by comparison. I'm done with RF cranks b/c of the interface and I'm done with all other RF products b/c of the lack of customer support I experienced.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike
    I cant wait to see your post when it comes time to change your BB

It should be interesting!!