mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cheapest, lightest chain guide?

I've been running the N-Gear Jump Stop for the last year on my 1x9 and it's worked great for what it is meant for. I've never dropped a chain on the inside but without a bash guard or chain guide its popped off the outside a number of times even using a single speed chainring. My cheapo solution was to modify the N-Stop, rode it today over some pretty rocky terrain and it worked perfect. Will give an update as I get more miles on it.
    Cheapest, lightest chain guide?-photo1_zps66121e86.jpg
    Cheapest, lightest chain guide?-photo2_zps19acf107.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hg11 View Post
    I've been running the N-Gear Jump Stop for the last year on my 1x9 and it's worked great for what it is meant for. I've never dropped a chain on the inside but without a bash guard or chain guide its popped off the outside a number of times even using a single speed chainring. My cheapo solution was to modify the N-Stop, rode it today over some pretty rocky terrain and it worked perfect. Will give an update as I get more miles on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1_zps66121e86.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	802219
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2_zps19acf107.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	802221
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I notice this guide is built to prevent the chain from dropping into the BB tube on the inside on multi ring applications, as opposed to the outside near the crank arm on single rings. Did you actually bend the N Gear so as to wrap it around the top of the chain? If so, nice creative mcgivering!...But what tool/method did you use? I suspect a clamp and pliers with a piece of felt/leather/fabric between to bend but prevent marring would help. Looking forward to hearing. Cheers.

NedwannaB
    Op May have upgraded to a more current purpose built design. Or went with the cool kids and got a narrow wide no drop chain ring.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Op May have upgraded to a more current purpose built design. Or went with the cool kids and got a narrow wide no drop chain ring.
    Maybe, but I like to hear the gipsy mcgiver tricks. The cool kids stuff is common capitalist google garb READ-->yawn. So where are the hippie tricks and funky DIY stunts?! Then it can get fun.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by donnieboy View Post
    Maybe, but I like to hear the gipsy mcgiver tricks. The cool kids stuff is common capitalist google garb READ-->yawn. So where are the hippie tricks and funky DIY stunts?! Then it can get fun.
    You mean stuff like a garden hose ziptied dangler type lower chain guide thangy?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....