Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cheap options for 1x* chain rentention

561 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Strafer 
#1 ·
I'd like to turn my single speed into a 1x7 on the cheap. I have most of the shifty bits already, but I need to make some kind of chain retainer. Problem is, I am really tight on cash, things like a bash guard and ring retainer are looking a bit spendy for something I'm not even sure I'll want to stay with. I'm going to be using a 32 tooth chain ring in the middle possition. I have a cheap 42 tooth chain ring, I was thinking I could grind off it's teeth and use it as a chain retainer. As for the chain jumping off the inside, maybe I could put a front derailleur (which I can get for $2 from the local bike co op) on and set the limit screws to the middle position....

Suggestions?

#6 ·
OH JEEZ PEOPLE, quite being a bunch of cheap @sses!!!! Just go buy a single ring chainguide already!!

There is a reason they are made and used on bikes that run 1x* systems. Yeah a front der. setup as a guide may work, most times, but its still isn't as solid as say a E.13 LG1 or MRP System 3.

#8 ·
f3rg said:
Get a BBG bashguard and an N-Gear Jump Stop.
This is exactly my setup on my 1x9 and it's practically flawless. Once you get the n-gear setup correctly you'll never drop the chain.

The few times I do drop are after a hard crash or something along those lines.

I also have a blackspire mono veloce chain ring. You can find those here.

Good luck man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.