Thread: Cheap chains

Freshly Fujified

Cheap chains

Word to the wise-don't buy 'em. Like anything else you get what you pay for.

I was completing a custom build and needed a gold chain. Bought two KHC (not KMC) gold chains for a total of $15.00 shipped. I installed one and tried to dial in the rear derailleur. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why the chain kept "walking" on top of the cogs as though it were trying to go to the next gear. Made numerous barrel adjustments, and finally just gave up. Put on a KMC chain, the bike shifts like a dream. Turns out the links on this supposed "9 speed KHC chain" were a bit long and the rollers would eventually catch on the cog tooth, rather than settling between the teeth, hence the "walking" effect I was experiencing.

I should know better by now. You get what you pay for. Fork over the money for quality parts.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

ballbuster

eh...

... when you can get XT chains for $20, why bother going cheaper? Slap a SRAM Powerlink on there, and you're good to go.

I'm all for cheap stuff. I am of the opinion that they cheaper stuff is usually 95% as good as the blingy stuff, and half the price or less. Of course in your case, those chains were too cheap.

I've been buying Performance bike cassettes for $16, and they work well enough for day to day. I save my XTs for raceday. A $70 cassette is too expensive to wear out once a year. I feel like I'm renting them instead of owning them.