mtbr member

changing rockhopper from 3x9 to 2x10

is this possible to do and if so how hard would it be? im also looking for suggestions on what to go with to build this setup for my bike i need to replace mine as i bent 2 chainrings and bent my rear derailer.

thank you any help would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Certainly possible.....all components on a bike are modular - take one off screw another one on.

Depends on the form of 2x that you want to go....if your preferred chainrings are just the smallest two from a 3x crankset then the front derailleur and crankset (and perhaps front shifter) can transfer over. Otherwise you'll need a whole new drivetrain.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member

If I get new crankset and front derailleur do I need a new shifter to match that

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzo2012 View Post
    If I get new crankset and front derailleur do I need a new shifter to match that
    ya.. sorta as the spacing is diff.. but honestly the 9 speed cranks can run a 10 speed chain so why bother
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Can 10 speed crank run a 9 speed chain? I have a 13' rockhopper looking to upgrade crank set.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Can 10 speed crank run a 9 speed chain? I have a 13' rockhopper looking to upgrade crank set.
    why? do you have the Suntour cranks...? though nothing special, they work, and work fine. really the only reason to upgrade is weight or wear. doubt you've worn them out ? unless you damaged them? Weight there are better places to spend money to save weight and improve performance on that bike (wheels being #1 with fork being a close 2nd)

if just you have a case of "upgrade-idus" well cool.. go for it but again,.. wheels and or fork will be a better bang for the buck.

but back the the actual question... sorta yes... a 10 speed crank may be able to run a 9 speed chain.. but it's far from optimal and you should change the shifter and derailleur also. ya, you can adjust the derail to work from what I've heard, but spacing on a 2x 10 speed crank is quite diff from a 3x 9 speed you have now... more likely to get chain drops do to the wider cage of the derailleur, have harder time getting it to shift properly because of the ring spacing diff... bla bla bla sounds like a lot of iffy working to get no real advantages
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    why? do you have the Suntour cranks...? though nothing special, they work, and work fine. really the only reason to upgrade is weight or wear. doubt you've worn them out ? unless you damaged them? Weight there are better places to spend money to save weight and improve performance on that bike (wheels being #1 with fork being a close 2nd)

if just you have a case of "upgrade-idus" well cool.. go for it but again,.. wheels and or fork will be a better bang for the buck.

but back the the actual question... sorta yes... a 10 speed crank may be able to run a 9 speed chain.. but it's far from optimal and you should change the shifter and derailleur also. ya, you can adjust the derail to work from what I've heard, but spacing on a 2x 10 speed crank is quite diff from a 3x 9 speed you have now... more likely to get chain drops do to the wider cage of the derailleur, have harder time getting it to shift properly because of the ring spacing diff... bla bla bla sounds like a lot of iffy working to get no real advantages
    2nd run is bent and the shop might not warranty it. So I was looking at getting crank set with external bb but keeping it 3 rings in the front. I do use my big 44t gears.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    well then ya... get a newer/better cranks set...

but I'd probably go 3x 9 again as
    one, you don't need to change anything else at this point, no shifters, derails and no funky adjusting's
    two, it can be used with a 10 speed setup down the road
    three, it can be made a 2x crank by just taking off the outer ring and replacing with a bash and using the inner 2 slots. Even if you change out rings/sizes. (and if you get a GXP crank set you can adjust the chain line with spacers super easy)
    four, in most cases the 9 speed stuff is WAY cheaper for equal or better grade/weight units

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I though 9 speed crank can't use 10 speed chain? If you go to shimao website they don't show any 9 speed cranks, odd?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I though 9 speed crank can't use 10 speed chain? If you go to shimao website they don't show any 9 speed cranks, odd?
    10 speed chain works on 9 speed anything.. I know a mess of weight weenies that do it all the time... just need to adj derails better and such as its really tight tolerances... personally the very slight weight advantage isn't worth the issues for me.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    not bad.. but shipping from england (unless in england..? ) plus the ones that are $85 are the 26-48 tooth units not the normal 22-44 which are over 90 bucks.. bla bla bla...

Shimano SLX M660-10 OE Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    SLX better set for same-ish $$$

but in all I would look for a sale on SRAM/Truvativ with the GXP bottom bracket.. only because the GXP system allows for better fine tuning and aligning of chain line and such.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    not bad.. but shipping from england (unless in england..? ) plus the ones that are $85 are the 26-48 tooth units not the normal 22-44 which are over 90 bucks.. bla bla bla...

Shimano SLX M660-10 OE Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    SLX better set for same-ish $$$

but in all I would look for a sale on SRAM/Truvativ with the GXP bottom bracket.. only because the GXP system allows for better fine tuning and aligning of chain line and such.
    That's for a 10 speed not a 9 speed...?

I haven't nothing to compare it too (using 10 speed crank on 9 speed drive train) I want the shifting and performance to be just the same as if I had a 9 speed crankset.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    That's for a 10 speed not a 9 speed...?

I haven't nothing to compare it too (using 10 speed crank on 9 speed drive train) I want the shifting and performance to be just the same as if I had a 9 speed crankset.
    oh ya it is 10 speed, sorry..
    honestly I have no clue what the diff is with the 10 speed cranks as I haven't played with one .. everyone round here has kinda stuck with 9 speed as it's cheaper and it just works.. few new bikes of friends with 10 speed, but they don't need work done and if they do it's under Warr so I wont play...

I believe there is a slight diff with 10 as the rings are closer spaced to each other.. but someone with a 10 to compare would have to verify that.

look around and do some searching.. also hit up your local shop.. by the time you get tools and such the tad extra might just be minimal and with it a new bike the Warr is sota worth them doing it.. see if they have a last yrs' something they want off their shelves and willing to discount a tad... a take off.. what ever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I found m590 and m591. What's the difference if any? Outter ring and arms look different / different part numbers.

Also having alum outter gear will the wear be a lot faster vs steel?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    something with the crankarm and the rings... if you look at the docs just about everything is interchangeable cept the arms and rings... (ok.. that's like really the whole thing LOL) but they are basically the same... bet one's slightly lighter or something.

Shimano

personally I think you can get a better crankset for the money.. Raceface X...
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Race Face Ride XC X Type Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket

truvativ/sram something like a fire X

TruVativ Firex GXP Crankset 175mm 26-36-48 Black

all about the same range but a good 100 grams lighter.. not a weight weenie but when something is the same price/preformance bracket... I'll save weight.

as to the large ring .. Alum is fine..
    1. you don't use it anywhere neer the amount the other 2 rings are
    2. even when used the larger ring have a lower wear rate anyway (more teeth taking pressure = less wear)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    something with the crankarm and the rings... if you look at the docs just about everything is interchangeable cept the arms and rings... (ok.. that's like really the whole thing LOL) but they are basically the same... bet one's slightly lighter or something.

Shimano

personally I think you can get a better crankset for the money.. Raceface X...
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Race Face Ride XC X Type Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket

truvativ/sram something like a fire X

TruVativ Firex GXP Crankset 175mm 26-36-48 Black

all about the same range but a good 100 grams lighter.. not a weight weenie but when something is the same price/preformance bracket... I'll save weight.

as to the large ring .. Alum is fine..
    1. you don't use it anywhere neer the amount the other 2 rings are
    2. even when used the larger ring have a lower wear rate anyway (more teeth taking pressure = less wear)
    You the da man, I'm a engineer by trade and I tend to over think things. Since I'm so new to the sport I have nothing to compare it to. I just hope 9 speed stuff is not hard to find in later years. I would hate to have to spend 500-600 to upgarde to a 10/11 speed just so I could get parts.

Now when I change the rings out due to wear, so they have to be shimano or just as long as they are the same bolt pattern. I called shimano today and tech guy said "Yea we don't make 9 speed stuff anymore, old school." When I ask are they compatible, he abruptly said no.

I actually order the M590 and M591 to compare them to, I'll just return the one I don't use or throw it on the gf's bike.

turtles make me hot
    I've mixed 9 and 10 speed rings on a few bikes and have had zero issues.
    The hardest one to set up was my Stumpjumper which originally had 9 speed and has a direct mount derailleur. It now has a 10 speed cassette, ten speed chain, 9 speed chainrings and front derailleur.
    Took a lot of fine tuning to make the front shift perfectly.
    Clamp on stuff is way less trouble.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I've mixed 9 and 10 speed rings on a few bikes and have had zero issues.
    The hardest one to set up was my Stumpjumper which originally had 9 speed and has a direct mount derailleur. It now has a 10 speed cassette, ten speed chain, 9 speed chainrings and front derailleur.
    Took a lot of fine tuning to make the front shift perfectly.
    Clamp on stuff is way less trouble.
    That's another thing I've started to look in to, different type of mounts. If my bike came with a clamp on deraillur, can you change to a different type?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    You the da man, I'm a engineer by trade and I tend to over think things. Since I'm so new to the sport I have nothing to compare it to. I just hope 9 speed stuff is not hard to find in later years. I would hate to have to spend 500-600 to upgarde to a 10/11 speed just so I could get parts.

Now when I change the rings out due to wear, so they have to be shimano or just as long as they are the same bolt pattern. I called shimano today and tech guy said "Yea we don't make 9 speed stuff anymore, old school." When I ask are they compatible, he abruptly said no.

I actually order the M590 and M591 to compare them to, I'll just return the one I don't use or throw it on the gf's bike.
    well.... being an engineer you might want to return both the shimano cranks and get the Truvativ Fire X.. the GXP Bottom bracket system is far better designed..

Trail Tire TV: Sram's GXP Bottom Bracket, how it differs from others

thou the actual bearings themselves aren't any better the system is a good bit smoother and transfers torque better

really there isn't all that much diff, but for the $$$ the fireX is a better crankset

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I see the theory behind it but where are the actual results ? Not saying its wrong but I would like to see " proof is in the pudding" so to speak.

I normally get everything from amazon ( since I have prime). I'll see about finding the bb. Thanks for the info. Def something to look in too.

turtles make me hot
    That's another thing I've started to look in to, different type of mounts. If my bike came with a clamp on deraillur, can you change to a different type?
    Problem Solvers
    I like turtles