mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Is changing my crankset going to make that much of a difference?

I currently have a Shimano Acera M361 Crankset on my bike that came with my Trek. Now I was considering upgrading the Shimano SLX BB70 crankset. What would be the difference and advantages? Is it a noticeable change?

g3h6o3
    Probably not. I would wear out the crank first.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I thought I noticed a difference making a similar swap (can't remember which Acera, but Acera -> SLX.) However, I also knew I'd made a swap.

I wouldn't bother replacing the crankset until you have to replace a couple parts at the same time anyway.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have an internal bb now. Oh yeah forgot to include that I ended up breaking my rear derailleur which was a SRAM X-4. I ended up getting a used set of XT 9 spd cassette X-9 shifters 3x9 and a X-9 Derailleur. Can I use my current Crankset and Front Derailleur (also Acera) with that setup?

Fat-tired Roadie
    There are these things called commas.

I think you said you bought a Shimano XT 9-speed cassette, SRAM X-9 shifters, and a X-9 derailleur.

If so, it should be fine.

A nicer front derailleur is actually a pretty good upgrade. It gets downplayed a lot on this site, but I was surprised at the difference it made.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    A nicer front derailleur is actually a pretty good upgrade. It gets downplayed a lot on this site, but I was surprised at the difference it made.
    Agreed, when going from Acera to Lx back then it made a huge difference
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The SLX cranks will be lighter, stiffer, stronger, and have smoother bearings. How much of that you'll actually notice depends on you.
    It sounds like you are starting to dump a fair amount of money into an entry-level bike. You need to be careful doing that. You may be better off just putting some money aside for your next bike.
    But if you really want to upgrade your cranks, I'd highly recommend saving some money by getting the LX cranks on clearance at Jensonusa
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Crankset.aspx
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.