I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

changing chain line on a 53mm CL crank?

Any good ideas on getting a 53mm chain line SS crank to be 47.5mm chain line? 73mm BB on an external BB/Crank set up. Truvativ Stylo. Chainring already on inner spider. Cannot recall off hand if the spacers can be shifted around of if I even need to use the spacers for 73mm?

Thinking I could space over the CR but I wonder if I will compromise strength at the CR bolts if the CR is not sitting on the tabs of the spider? Older cranks used to not even have tabs for the small chainrings and I never hurt them.

Any thoughts? The reason behind this is to use a super nice White Ind. rear hub/freewheel combo and they have that old Shimano square taper MTB 47.5mm chain line.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Any good ideas on getting a 53mm chain line SS crank to be 47.5mm chain line? 73mm BB on an external BB/Crank set up. Truvativ Stylo. Chainring already on inner spider. Cannot recall off hand if the spacers can be shifted around of if I even need to use the spacers for 73mm?

Thinking I could space over the CR but I wonder if I will compromise strength at the CR bolts if the CR is not sitting on the tabs of the spider? Older cranks used to not even have tabs for the small chainrings and I never hurt them.

Any thoughts? The reason behind this is to use a super nice White Ind. rear hub/freewheel combo and they have that old Shimano square taper MTB 47.5mm chain line.
    Something is screwy. It should be ~50mm mounted on the inside of the spider. Spacers should not be an issue if the bolts are long enough.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Verdad? Thanks, Shiggy. I did not measure as the crank is off the bike. I just remembered the spec being 53mm but I never thought about what side that is measured from.

I will measure a bit and see. 3mm is hardly a big difference. 6mm I was not so sure about.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Verdad? Thanks, Shiggy. I did not measure as the crank is off the bike. I just remembered the spec being 53mm but I never thought about what side that is measured from.

I will measure a bit and see. 3mm is hardly a big difference. 6mm I was not so sure about.
    For singlespeed even 3mm is a lot.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common