mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Changing cassette for road riding

I have a Cannondale Bad Boy for city riding and I find never use the larger cogs. I want to put on a 12-25 Shimano Ultrega freewheel that would suit my riding style. My question is should I replace the long cage XT deraileur with a medium cage or will a road type deraileur be better and will it work with the shifters that I have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Blakcloud

Jm.
    mtbr member
    the long cage will work fine, you might have to shorten your chain a bit (and you'd have to shorten your chain with the shorter cage der as well).

On the other hand, since you aren't making the gearing any higher in the rear, it doesn't really make any sense to replace the cassette. If you replaced the front rings with bigger rings, then you might be on to something, but your current cassette most likely has an 11t or 12t high gear already, so it's not like going to a road cassette will keep you from spinning out.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The only reason to switch the rear is if you feel your're in-between gears (since it's a city-bike I'd doubt it).

I agree with Jm just replace a few of the chain rings up front with bigger versions. Shouldn't be to hard to find a 48, 36, 26 rings to replace your 44, 32, 22 rings. I know Shimano makes a "Touring" crankset (XT level FC M761) with those rings in 4 bolt 104/64 BCD. Also if you're changing a buch of rings it may be cheaper to replace the whole crankset.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    On the other hand, since you aren't making the gearing any higher in the rear, it doesn't really make any sense to replace the cassette. If you replaced the front rings with bigger rings, then you might be on to something, but your current cassette most likely has an 11t or 12t high gear already, so it's not like going to a road cassette will keep you from spinning out.
    True the top end wont change with a cassette swap but the overall gearing would be tremendously different. Shimano's stock MTB cassettes leave a lot to be desired in cog spacing IMHO. The gaps are too great for me to even use off road and if I used one for commuting I would probably (grudgingly) only use 4 of the cogs. A 11/12-25 or even 23 is a great city/commuting cassette as it allows you to shift frequently and always have a gear to keep your cadence constant. A 32 front with 25 cog in back is plenty low to climb just about any paved road in this country.

If its a pure increase in speed that you're after then either A) Spin faster, or B) as Jm said you'll need to swap out your chainrings instead of the cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Going back to blakcloud's original question.

I switch between a 12/25 and 11/32 and use a XT long cage rear on my hybrid bike depending on the terrain I plan to ride. You might lose some shifting performance but I'd be hard pressed to tell you my shifting deteriorates between the two.

As Shayne noted, the closer spaced ratios of the 12/25 allows me to keep my cadence from going through large changes. However, with the 12/25, you'll spin out below 20mph with a 32 center chainring. I prefer to not use my large chain ring so I upped my center ring to 36.

glenk