mtbr member
    Jun 2007

changing cassette and chain but not chainring, is it ok?

my cassette teeth are worn razor sharp and they look like shark teeth. i want to change the cassette and chain. the teeth on my chainring look ok and i can't find a chainring to fit my crank. if i change the chain and cassette will it all wear ok without any problems?

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by ausher
    my cassette teeth are worn razor sharp and they look like shark teeth. i want to change the cassette and chain. the teeth on my chainring look ok and i can't find a chainring to fit my crank. if i change the chain and cassette will it all wear ok without any problems?
    Good question. The answer is that it all depends. You should get say three or four chains to a cassette and a few cassettes to a chainring. However, remember that the smallest chainring will wear a lot faster than the other two. You use it more often and it has fewer teeth to wear. I replaced a cassette and chain on my bike but had skipping trouble. The small ring went right away, but I still had skipping in my middle ring. I replaced the middle ring, and I have no trouble now; the large ring was fine (and it is about 10 years old!). A visual check of the rings might not be enough. If you put your drive train back together, check the smallest and middle rings with the bike in the stand. See just how well the teeth are meshing with the new chain. The last test is actually riding it to see if you have trouble with skipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    However, remember that the smallest chainring will wear a lot faster than the other two. You use it more often and it has fewer teeth to wear.
    Only if you use it..

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmytro
    Only if you use it..
    That's why I took it off my hardtail, to keep me from being such a sissy.