mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Change from Octalink to LX HTII, chainline moved

Hi all,

I went from Octalink 68mm to LX HTII, and added 2 distancer rings on drivetrain side, as suggested by the installation manual.

Chainline is visibly moved towards outside, and combination of middle chainring and largest sprocket is rather difficult for derailleour to handle.

Anybody had similar problems?

ups and downs
    It's not so much a problem as a feature in the Microsoft sense of the word. Funny how a 7 letter word can become a curse word. All the Shimano external BB cranks are 50mm chainline only, as are the new Shimano front derailleurs.

Try reinstalling your operating system and restart the computer to solve that problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Seems that removing one ring would do the trick, but I am hesitant to do so due to pedal position, will that change, or is it wrong now?

Here http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?tit...ottom_Brackets it is addressed, not exactly the same situation, but could be applied.

ups and downs
    If you move one of the 2.5mm spacers to the non-drive side you will offset the pedals to the left with respect to the frame. That might not be a big issue, or it might just result in some heel rub on the crank arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So just removig one ring from driveside is not an option? Due to total shell width?

ups and downs
    Correct, the spindle is sized for a 73mm shell so it needs all the spacers in a 68mm shell.

Just a flesh wound
    I had the same issue when I changed from Truvativ BB to SKF. I just used the spacers to center my cranks on the swingarm ( the way the original was ) and presto, no problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Too late now, but measure from inside of granny ring to some reference point (seat tube) BEFORE removing working setup.

Adjust new setup (new stuff) to this measurement...done.

Tilos