mtbr member
    Aug 2004

CHAINSUCK!!!! sucks....

Im getting really crappy chainsuck. it seems to happen only on the second chainring, when i pedal hard. or, it happens very often when i shift from the largest chainring to the second chainring when im pedaling moderately hard. if im doing light pedaling everything works fine, once you add a little pressure to it though, its dead.

i really doubt its a drivetrain adjustment problem, because i got it adjusted in a bike shop two times in a row and it has the same problem. im going to take it to another shop tomorrow for them to look at it. its really messing up my chainstay so i dont want to ride it too much just to check out the problem. the cassette is a XT and its new, as is both derailleurs, and the chain is new. the only used part in the drivetrain is the crankset, but it shouldnt be that bad.

the chainrings do look slightly worn, but im not mechanic, and its not for me to say. i managed to go out, reproduce the problem, and get some photos. as you can see, its a classic case of chainsuck, looks the the entire chain gets off tracked for some reason, i cant pinpoint why/where/how exactly. all i know is that it happens a lot when im downshifting from third to second and occasionally if im hauling real hard on the secnd ring.

http://s88954922.onlinehome.us/chainsuck/index.htm

PHOTOS

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It sure looks like your middle chainring is worn and chewed up. You have classic chain suck....good diagnosis. You can see the hooked middle teeth holding onto the chain in a couple of pics.

btw...I think that you mentioned (in another post) that the chain is new. A new chain with worn chainrings will make chainsuck worse.

Have your middle chainring replaced. If the chain is damaged...get a new one.