baka baka!

chainsuck on new drivetrain

hey everyone,

i've been having chainsuck issues involving the granny and the middle ring. when i drop down from the middle to the granny it jams. i shift...soft pedal and then it locks up it prolly happens 1 out of every 5 times on very slight inclines. i have to get off my bike and backpedal by hand a bit to try to unlock it everything on my drivetrain is relatively new (low wear, no bent teeth, etc.) and i clean and lube my chain religiously. i also never ride in wet or muddy conditions. i have a '05 marin wolf ridge and the parts for my drivetrain are as follows: shimano xt 752 crankset, xtr m900 8spd cassette, xt 750 fd, xt 750 rd, and sram pc-68 chain, xt 740 shifters. i have read that the rotational alignment could be off on a crankset but what are the odds of that? could the action of my rear suspension have something to do with it? would having a shimano hyperglide chain make a difference? since there are slight raises on the shimano chain's plating, i speculate that it might hook up better to the grooves in the back of the chainring for smoother shifting. but what do i know?

thanks,

jon

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    try the 8sp shimano chain. could the granny be spaced too far from crank (speculating)? burrs on teeth causing hanging?
    Complete my:
    Klein Attitude XS collection: 91, 92

I Love my Rize

Sucky XT rings

Quote Originally Posted by x9typesh
    hey everyone,

i've been having chainsuck issues involving the granny and the middle ring. when i drop down from the middle to the granny it jams. i shift...soft pedal and then it locks up it prolly happens 1 out of every 5 times on very slight inclines. i have to get off my bike and backpedal by hand a bit to try to unlock it everything on my drivetrain is relatively new (low wear, no bent teeth, etc.) and i clean and lube my chain religiously. i also never ride in wet or muddy conditions. i have a '05 marin wolf ridge and the parts for my drivetrain are as follows: shimano xt 752 crankset, xtr m900 8spd cassette, xt 750 fd, xt 750 rd, and sram pc-68 chain, xt 740 shifters. i have read that the rotational alignment could be off on a crankset but what are the odds of that? could the action of my rear suspension have something to do with it? would having a shimano hyperglide chain make a difference? since there are slight raises on the shimano chain's plating, i speculate that it might hook up better to the grooves in the back of the chainring for smoother shifting. but what do i know?

thanks,

jon

Get rid of the junky worthless XT rings and get deore m510 steel rings for the granny and middle rings and say goodbye to chainsuck and they will last 10 times longer

22t ring http://bicyclenut.net/page.cfm?PageI...ils&sku=CR2997

32t ring http://bicyclenut.net/page.cfm?PageI...ils&sku=CR2998

Giggitty giggitty!!
    hey everyone,

thanks,

jon
    Wow, that is quite a mis-mash of 8 and 9 speed parts you have there. Definately not helping your cause! First off, your running and 8 speed chain on a 9-speed crank with 8-speed shifters and 9 spd FD. The chainring width is different from 8 to 9.

Change your chainrings from 9 to 8 spd. The FD isn't as big of a deal, you'll just have to live with less than great front shifting quality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpimp
    Wow, that is quite a mis-mash of 8 and 9 speed parts you have there. Definately not helping your cause! First off, your running and 8 speed chain on a 9-speed crank with 8-speed shifters and 9 spd FD. The chainring width is different from 8 to 9.

Change your chainrings from 9 to 8 spd. The FD isn't as big of a deal, you'll just have to live with less than great front shifting quality.
    I've been running A mix-n-match setup for years with no chainsuck whatsoever. For years I was using 9spd XT FD, 8spd XT RD, 8spd shimano chain(not sure which one) 8spd LX rapidfire, LX 8spd crankset. I had no problems here. Recently, I started updating my drivetrain piece by piece. I got a new XT 9spd RD and HG-93 chain, with the rest being the same. I still was fine. Now I added an XT 9spd Crankset to the mix. Still have no problems. This weekend I was riding in a fair amount of mud, and not once did I have Chainsuck. I cant remember the last time I had Chainsuck actually.

Also, I ride a hardtail, so linkage and geometry of the rear end is not a factor for me. But really the only thing in the actual drivetrain that is different than mine(at one time or another) is the chain.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Actually the narrower chainrings should be less likely to suck. The "9-speed" front derailleur is a non-issue, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I Love my Rize

Me too

I'm running a mega 9 Deore with a sram pc 68 and sram 850 cassette with 8 speed centera 2002 shifters and it is butter smooth for over 3 years now. Mud, ice, snow and sand have no effect on it I also run 9sp lx front and rear m570 - Gold edition derailleurs
    Last edited by danoalb; 07-06-2006 at 03:27 AM.

baka baka!
    thanks for the replies guys...i think i mite swap out the chain for a shimano and see if that's the answer to my problem. i think my fd is kinda screwy too or maybe it needs to be tuned. sometimes when i shift from mid to granny the chain just stays on the middle ring while rubbing on the cage. in those cases i usually just push the chain over manually. it's really frustrating but hopefully i'll find a solution soon.

Giggitty giggitty!!
    sometimes when i shift from mid to granny the chain just stays on the middle ring while rubbing on the cage. in those cases i usually just push the chain over manually. it's really frustrating but hopefully i'll find a solution soon.
    Cause it's a 9spd FD with 8spd parts. You can bend the cage in a slight bit (at the inner protrusion) to help with the down shifting.