I meant to do that

Chainsuck with new chain

I installed a new KMZ chain on my Santa Cruz Superlight, replacing the 9-speed SRAM that was on there. Now, while riding with the new chain, instead of rotating around the chainrings, the chain seems to be grabbed by the ring and pulled up slightly before releasing. I suppose this is the second definition of chainsuck: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=chainsuck

Anyway, I also purchased a "slightly" used XTR crankset for the bike, but had no problems with the original chain. Is this maybe an indication that the original chain and drivetrain are all worn to the same degree, therefore are doomed to a life with each other permanently? Or did the LBS sell me the wrong kind of chain (8-speed maybe)?

I haven't had a chance yet to try a different crank. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts in the meantime?
    Last edited by sethmorgan@hotmail.com; 01-06-2006 at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmorgan@hotmail.com
    I installed a new KMZ chain on my Santa Cruz Superlight, replacing the 9-speed SRAM that was on there. Now, while riding with the new chain, instead of rotating around the chainrings, the chain seems to be grabbed by the ring and pulled up slightly before releasing. I suppose this is the second definition of chainsuck: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=chainsuck

Anyway, I also purchased a "slightly" used XTR crankset for the bike, but had no problems with the original chain. Is this maybe an indication that the original chain and drivetrain are all worn to the same degree, therefore are doomed to a life with each other permanently? Or did the LBS sell me the wrong kind of chain (8-speed maybe)?

I haven't had a chance yet to try a different crank. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts in the meantime?
    What you describing is pretty typical if you try to put a new chain onto a too worn of a drivetrain. You will most likely need to buy new chainrings to correct this problem or if there isn't anything wrong with the old chain I would just use that until the whole drivetrain no longer works. Be warned also that if the new chain doesn't work with the crank, it will probably skip on the cassette also while under extreme load suach as climbing hills.

It would seem that both the old chain you have and the used crank are worn to about the same degree so that is why that combiantion work.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Check the ring teeth for burrs. They can form and snag the chain without the rings being worn out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My new Reign had some form of heavy grease on the chain. I couldn't ride it 5 minutes without issues. Took a thorough cleaning and lube to resolve the problem.

I meant to do that
    I ended up replacing the middle chainring. It was very badly worn. I also installed a new XTR chain and got rid of the KMC. Problem sovled.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by sethm
    I ended up replacing the middle chainring. It was very badly worn. I also installed a new XTR chain and got rid of the KMC. Problem sovled.
    Well sorry to hear you needed a middle ring, BUT damn glad you changed the chain. Stick with either Shimano or SRAM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

I meant to do that
    Well I originally wanted a decent chain, went to my LBS and all they had were KMC 9-speed. I said, is that bad? He said, no, they are just as good as anything else. Seems like LBS' don't ever stock anything anymore. I finally ordered everything from speedgoat.