mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Chains- they all seem to get poor reviews

I am upgrading my crank to LX and figured I would change out the chain while im at it. I have read the reviews on this website and it seems that nobody likes their chain. What Gives? What chain do you run? Are you happy with it?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Wipperman

I was breaking shimano and sram chains. Then I bought a wipperman 908 and have nothing but good luck with it.

Auto-x addict
    Have run Shimano XT chains without problem, a couple of SRAM PC-99's but they seemed to wear really quickly, one Wipperman stainless that was fantastic, but so was the price.

I now run Shimano CN-7701's (XTR/Dura Ace) as they work great and Jenson has great prices on them.

I always use Wipperman Connex links for ease of maintenance. No trouble at all with Shimano chains.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Rohloff SLT-99

They're expensive but worth it.
    I get 2x the milage I was getting with Sachs (SRAM) chains.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    (XTR/Dura Ace)
    I have had good luck with those too. They seem to shift well and are easier to keep clean than "LX" chains, for example.

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by glider72
    I was breaking shimano and sram chains. Then I bought a wipperman 908 and have nothing but good luck with it.
    Heck yeah, and the Connex link is a breeze to fasten and release!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkamaki
    I am upgrading my crank to LX and figured I would change out the chain while im at it. I have read the reviews on this website and it seems that nobody likes their chain. What Gives? What chain do you run? Are you happy with it?
    Chains is one area where most people will only complain if it breaks. I've used HG73,93, Sram PC 991... Sram PC 991 was the best one, my next one will be a sram pc 971.

Reviewer/Tester
    I use Rohloff chain. It outlasts all the other stuff.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    HA HA I suspect people break their chain while riding, have to walk back to the house or car, come on here pissed off and say X chain sucks. I use Sram chains, they seem to hold up for me. I had a well worn out Sram (5000 miles) and the LBS guy told me that the chain should have broken 2000 miles ago. Since then I've used Sram.

Steve
    Last edited by jetfan2207; 06-24-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Auto-x addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan2207
    HA HA I suspect people break their chain while riding, have to walk back to the house or car, come on here pissed off and say X chain sucks. I use Sram chains, he seem to hold up for me. I had a well worn out sram (5000 miles) and the LBS guy told me that the chain should have broken 2000 miles ago. Since then I've used Sram.

Steve
    I've only ever broken 1 chain, and that was my fault, not the chains.

I don't like SRAM chains because, for me, they wore out rapidly. When a chain is worn out it has a bad habit of wearing out cassettes and chainrings. I'd rather not be replacing my entire drivetrain all the time, and that's what has influenced my decision to run XTR or Wippermans.

willtsmith_nwi
    Chain wear is heavily influenced by riding conditions. A wet summer can make the difference between the chain from this season and the chain from last season.

The best course of action is to wash out the dirt. The combination of grit suspended in chain oil turns it into grinding paste which causes chain wear. Get a chain tool and clean it out on a regular basis.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    another vote for wipperman, seems to last longer too

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have read the reviews on this website and it seems that nobody likes their chain.
    Keep in mind that people usually only post a review when somehting goes wrong. If my chain is working fine, that's the last thing on my to-do list: post a review about my good-working chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks,
    I think I will be picking up a new SRAM chain this week.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    +1 on sram 991 hollowpin
    +1 on shimano 7701 and hg93

I've gotten great wear and performance from both (note: I use a sram gold link regardless of who made the rest of the chain just so I can do maintenance more easily).

FWIW, I've read that the strongest chain builds are those with "mushroomed" pins . more material outside the plates holding things together. The SRAM 991 hollowpin and top-end shimano's do this and I've not experienced plate separation since keeping with this type of chain.

Of course, proper gear use helps a lot too.

+100 on keeping your drivetrain relatively clean and properly lubed

mtbr member
    Shimano HG-53 - 300 miles and two burrs and 1 frozen link. Not quiet with lube, but loud without. Never could get it completely clean. No power link.
    SRAM PC971 - lasted 770 miles with no problems. Power link is awesome. Cleans better than Shimano. Quiet when lubed, somewhat loud without. Power link.
    KMC X9 - only 50 miles on it but quiet. Factory grease is sticky and attracts dirt. Power link.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I tried SRAM twice (PC991 Hollow Pin) in one season, both times the chain broke on a climb after about 1.5 months of moderate use. I wipped and lubed it after every ride, and still only got a few hundred miles out of them. So I switched back to Shimano XT level with no chain problems for a full season of riding, however my large cog on the XT Cassette just got mangled during a climb.

Do the SRAM chains only work well with SRAM drive trains or was it just the Hollow Pins are too weak?

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by bear

FWIW, I've read that the strongest chain builds are those with "mushroomed" pins . more material outside the plates holding things together.
    This is technically correct but practically misleading. The pins need to be "peened" (mushroomed) in order to keep the plate from sliding off the pin.

Basically, they're ALL peened. The problem comes when you push a pin out of your chain. Since the "mushroom" is bigger than the hole, pushing the pin out sheers off the mushroom. If you push it back in, you're left with the proverbial weak link. Hence, when you do hookup a chain you have to use a replacement pin or a masterlink.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

mtbr member
    I use the SRAM 991 and littled dissapointed on how long it has lasted. It's the only chain I've used and I'll be putting another one on since I always keep a new chain in tool box. I think I'm going to buy the XTR chain next time just to see how it works.