mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Chains and keeping them rust free....

Hey all,

I have a brand new Specialized Enduro Comp 130 with a HG-73 chain. Not even a month has gone by and the chain is rusted with lots of use. I lube it with a wax based lube to cut down on the sand interaction. In all fainess I do live near the ocean in Florida, but I also have a cheap Mongoose bike that is rarely ridden and the chain is rust free while it sets in my garage.

Are there any lubes that will keep the chain rust free (within reason) and keep the sand off it ? Also, are there any chains that won't rust ; won't rust as much as others?

I have been riding for 10 years and it seems the chains rust more than ever. Thanks all!

MTB B'dos
    Well I can fairly say that the SRAM PC59 chain I just replaced looked as clean and shinny as the day I put it on about 3 months ago. I know you're going so what's the big deal 3 months ain't nothing. Well in those 3 months I've done some seriously muddy (sandy/clayey mud) riding and put over 1,000 miles on the chain and unfortunately took it a little past it's proper wear and wore out my middle ring along the way.

So the answer is SRAm chains seem to keep their gleam and "bling" however you pay quite darely for this as a SRAM chain now costs at least twice as much if not more than a similar Shimano chain - I'm back to the PG-73/LX Shimano chains 'cause I wear a chain out on avg about every 2-3 months.

Make sure that when you wash/clean your chain/drive train that you try to get it dry ASAP and lube it right away as that's when it really start to rust just sitting there right after all the lubes been washed off.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by parkair
    Also, are there any chains that won't rust ; won't rust as much as others?
    Wipperman has some stainless steel chains that are supposed to be fairly rust resistant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been using my non-sram chain(see shimano) now since 2003 and it has no rust. Of course after any wet ride I clean, wipe and lube it. I also keep it stored in the garage when not riding it.

Any chain, with proper care, will not rust.

I live less than 2 miles from the ocean.

Keepin' it real since '74
    I usually degrease and lube my chain after every 3rd ride. I remove my chain from the bike, degrease it with Gunk Engine Degreaser, rinse it off with water, then wipe it down throughly with a towel. Then I hang the chain up in the house for about 6 hours to let the remaining water inside the rollers evaporate.

After that, I apply Pro-Link lube, wipe off the access, then I'm done. I've never had a chain rust on my yet.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Chrome Toaster
    Keep the chain lubed all the time. Its the only way to solve that problem in your case and with that chain.

If you want something easier then go to a higher level chain. What you have is an LX level chain. The only difference between shimano chains is the plating treatment they get. LX has no plating whatsoever so they will rust easily in salty near ocean enviroments if you don't take care of them. XT chains have the side plates plated and XTR. Dura Ace has the pins and plates fully treated and plated.

I also live and do a bunch of my riding right next to the ocean and the high end chains will absolutely not rust. Same goes for Sram chains. The lower end models rust more easily in aggressive enviroments.

Quote Originally Posted by parkair
    Hey all,

I have a brand new Specialized Enduro Comp 130 with a HG-73 chain. Not even a month has gone by and the chain is rusted with lots of use. I lube it with a wax based lube to cut down on the sand interaction. In all fainess I do live near the ocean in Florida, but I also have a cheap Mongoose bike that is rarely ridden and the chain is rust free while it sets in my garage.

Are there any lubes that will keep the chain rust free (within reason) and keep the sand off it ? Also, are there any chains that won't rust ; won't rust as much as others?

I have been riding for 10 years and it seems the chains rust more than ever. Thanks all!
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about rust, as your chain will be functionally worn out long before the rust affects the integrity of the chain. Unless you don't like the "look" of a rusted chain, but that's another matter. If you ride regularly, your chain will wear out long before rust will hurt it. "Rust never sleeps...."

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks everyone...

I wondered if I had the low end chain LX (HG) . I have a new XTR chain ready to install and will put that on my bike. Hopefully it will do much better. The info was a great help.....Thanks again!