mtbr member

New question here. Chainrings: who's best? RaceFace, XT, FSA, etc

Ok, I did a search and found a few posts on this, but not really the info I was hoping to find. I also looked in the Reviews section and found very little info on chainrings in general.

I've got a Bontrager Race-X-Lite crankset (same as Truvativ Stylo Carbon) and after less than a year the chainrings are shot. When I first got the cranks I could tell the rings would last long. They have got to be hands down the crappiest, cheapest chainrings I've ever seen.

So, I'm ready to get some new ones. The ones I have easily available are Shimano XT, RaceFace Team and FSA. From the other posts and from the reviews, it seems like it is hit or miss if you get a good set or not. How can there be so much variation between rings from the same manufacturer? Originally I was thinking about XT because Shimano is usually very reliable and more or less reasonably priced, but I've read some bad stuff here about them. I've had RaceFace in the past, but that was a LONG time ago and I don't know what their quality is like these days. Price wise, they aren't bad. On the road I've been using FSA stuff for the past 4 years or so with no problems, but MTB is much harder on rings than road, so I'm not sure about those since I've never used their MTB stuff.

So what do you guys think? RaceFace Team, XT, or FSA? I'd say I'm leaning towards RaceFace Team at this point, but I want to make sure I'm making a good choice.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ndbike
    From the other posts and from the reviews, it seems like it is hit or miss if you get a good set or not. How can there be so much variation between rings from the same manufacturer?
    there isn't that much variation between rings from different manufactures, there is wild variation in the reviews because people are idiots. If you give the same set of chainrings to 2 people, one will say they are the best ever, the other will say they are sh##t. Do you honestly think that everyone who posts a review has their FD and chainline setup properly and has a good properly-lubed chain (I've seen at least one guy get new rings, toss them on with an old, worn to hell chain then complain that they slip... "well, my old rings never did" that's because they where worn too, idiot!)?

IMO shimano is the gold standard in rings but I've never had a prob with FSA nor truvativ. Not much experience with raceface.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I agree with Joules that shifting, Shimanos are awesome, but their life is a little shorter than the RF or FSA (some people say the alu is softer or something.... bottom line is they develop "sharp fins" faster, but shift very smoothly)

just along for the ride
    If you want them to last go steel, bit heavier but will outlast Al rings by 3-5X.

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano rings are the best shifting I've ever used, but the will NOT fit on Bontrager/Truvativ/Race Face cranks w/o some mods. The bolt circle is the same, but Shimano leaves a little extra material below the bolt holes that has to be removed before they will bolt up. I'm using a Shimano XT 36t (Bash/36/22) on my Race Face cranks right now, so it works fine, but I spent about an hour with a Dremel removing material first. A close second would be the Race Face Team rings...good shifting and long lasting. Truvativ aluminum rings aren't very good IMO...wear fast and just doesn't shift as smooth (though their steel rings hold up fine).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Shimano rings are the best shifting I've ever used, but the will NOT fit on Bontrager/Truvativ/Race Face cranks w/o some mods. The bolt circle is the same, but Shimano leaves a little extra material below the bolt holes that has to be removed before they will bolt up. I'm using a Shimano XT 36t (Bash/36/22) on my Race Face cranks right now, so it works fine, but I spent about an hour with a Dremel removing material first. A close second would be the Race Face Team rings...good shifting and long lasting. Truvativ aluminum rings aren't very good IMO...wear fast and just doesn't shift as smooth (though their steel rings hold up fine).
    Hmm... I would never have guessed that even though the BCD is the same that the Shimanos would be different enough to require some mods. Then again, maybe I should have expected that.

At this point, it sounds like the RaceFace Team rings are probably the way to go. The seem nice enough, machined ramps and steel pins for shifting. I just hope they don't wear as fast as the Truvativ rings that came with my Bonty cranks.

mtbr member
    The Bonty cranks on my previous bike were garbage. The middle ring warped easily and the crank arm themselves were about as stiff as jello. I replaced them with the RaceFace EvolveXC crankset. It was much stiffer and the rings looked like they were of much better quality. I didn't get to enjoy them for very long because the rest of the bike sucked and I cut my losses and sold it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    The Bonty cranks on my previous bike were garbage. The middle ring warped easily and the crank arm themselves were about as stiff as jello. I replaced them with the RaceFace EvolveXC crankset. It was much stiffer and the rings looked like they were of much better quality. I didn't get to enjoy them for very long because the rest of the bike sucked and I cut my losses and sold it.
    Were yours the carbon cranks (same as the Truvativ Stylo Carbons) or were they aluminum? I really like the carbon ones. I think they are plenty stiff. Then again, I only weigh 135lbs, so how much could I really flex any crank?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ndbike
    Were yours the carbon cranks (same as the Truvativ Stylo Carbons) or were they aluminum? I really like the carbon ones. I think they are plenty stiff. Then again, I only weigh 135lbs, so how much could I really flex any crank?
    They were the aluminum cranks. They were made by Truvativ but I don't know which line it was. I have Truvativ Stylos on my current bike and I love them. Then again part of the flex problem might have been my 210lbs.