mtbr member

chainrings for strongarm II?

Hey all
    I have a 2000 stumpy fsrxc and I need to replace the middle and outer chainring. Any suggestions on where to find these? 22t,32t,44t set
    Also, if cost effecient, I might buy a new crankset, but don't know were to start. I believe I have a UN72 BB.
    thanks for your help
    -Adam

mtbr member
    any chainrings of the proper BCD (bolt circle diameter) will work. Assuming it's a 4-arm crank, I'd go with shimano deore rings, great bang for the buck, shift well and will last fairly long.
    Your LBS can order some, or there's many e-tailers you can order from. Aebike.com, universalcycles, bikeman, nashbar, performance, etc are good places to start.
    It may be more cost effective to buy a new crank and take the rings from it.
    If it's a 5-arm, a bit more difficult to find rings, but there's lots of old stock out there (fleabay), as well as companies like salsa, sugino, TA, etc making rings still.
    Not many new cranks out there that do a square taper BB like the UN72, aebike carries some decent sugino ones, just make sure it takes the same spindle length as your current one, or you'll need a new BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thucydides
    Hey all
    I have a 2000 stumpy fsrxc and I need to replace the middle and outer chainring. Any suggestions on where to find these? 22t,32t,44t set
    Also, if cost effecient, I might buy a new crankset, but don't know were to start. I believe I have a UN72 BB.
    thanks for your help
    -Adam
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks
    I'll see if I can track down some Deore rings for a good price.
    -Adam

ballbuster

Wait....

Quote Originally Posted by Thucydides
    Hey all
    thanks for your help
    -Adam
    Strongarm IIs are 5 arm 94mm BCD (mountain compact), right? It might be a bit trickier to get rings for those these says since most everything went 104mm BCD 4 arm, but they exist.

I got a set of those on my wife's Stumpy Hardtail, probably circa 1998. Purdy cranks.

Many people still swear by 5 arm cranks because you can lose a CRB and not fold your rings in half, unlike 4 arm cranks. Plus, you can get a granny gear down to 20 tooth which works great for those 29er bikes.

mtbr member

it's a four arm

it is a four arm crank, but thanks for the input nonetheless.
    -Adam