mtbr member

Chainrings: Blackspire, Truvativ, FSA, RaceFace?

I'm currently running a traditional 9 speed 22/32/44T Truvative GXP 1 crankset on my bike. For the most part, I only use the 44T as a bash guard and on gravel roads or pavement. I've been riding this setup for almost a year now and it's starting to show some wear. I'm looking at replacing just the small and middle rings and adding an actual bash guard for the big ring. I'll be keeping the granny at 22T, but going up to a 26T for the middle ring which hopefully won't be too much of a gap.

I'm fairly rough on my equipment and ride all year round, in wet, mud, and dusty dry conditions. I'm looking for some tough chainrings that can stand the abuse and I don't need to change out a lot. I'm not that concerned about weight either.

What chainrings have you tried and what would be the best selection for durability and smooth shifting performance? Do steel chainrings like the Truvativ Trushift steel stand up better to abuse than the normal aluminum models?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    for the price, flick your old set and get a new SLX chainset from CRC

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I also have a GXP1 crankset.. but was thinking of going 36/24.. Then replacing the 44t with a Truvativ 36t ring guard. But if you notice most XC riders like a stiff setup. I heard some guys liking BBB rings..

mtbr member
    I think for now I'm going to save some cash and just have the LBS replace the middle ring. When I've toasted the bottom bracket or worn out the small ring I'll just get a new crankset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Your right.. You could get at least 60~75 out of your truvativ on Ebay.. Then get you a whole new SLX or XT crankset for about 150~200... Might be worth it if you have alot of miles on the bike. Sometimes I have seen FSA Afterburner cranksets 44,32,22 go for about 80 bucks new..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neoison View Post
    Your right.. You could get at least 60~75 out of your truvativ on Ebay.. Then get you a whole new SLX or XT crankset for about 150~200... Might be worth it if you have alot of miles on the bike. Sometimes I have seen FSA Afterburner cranksets 44,32,22 go for about 80 bucks new..
    Yep, not even one season on it yet. I've put a beating on it, but the middle ring is the only one that's really messed up. The big ring too, but I almost never use that. The SLX 24/36/Bash is looking like a great setup.

mtbr member
    I switched my set up to a 2x9 using Blackspire chain rings. My current set up is XT cranks Blackspire 24 granny and 34 middle. Then a purely customs bash guard. For me the 34 is perfect no need for the 36 as of yet..
    2009 GF Cobia
    2010 RIP 9 SOLD
    2011 EMD
    Soon to add Giant 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post

I'm fairly rough on my equipment and ride all year round, in wet, mud, and dusty dry conditions. I'm looking for some tough chainrings that can stand the abuse and I don't need to change out a lot. I'm not that concerned about weight either.

What chainrings have you tried and what would be the best selection for durability and smooth shifting performance? Do steel chainrings like the Truvativ Trushift steel stand up better to abuse than the normal aluminum models?
    To answer your question, in my experience.....yes. I run a 2x9, Action Tec 20t titanium granny and 32t STEEL Truvativ and an FSA bashie. Get great longetivity compared to original setup. I ride every condition imaginable, including snow.

I tried using my outer ring as a bash, but it bent over like a taco.....

I don't like the new aluminum alloys - too soft. Seemed I'd loose teeth for no apparent reason. I went through 2 sets in a single season before I smartened up. Now I'm 2 seasons on this front setup. I have discarded a couple chains though, but this is normal. YMMV.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I'm currently running a traditional 9 speed 22/32/44T Truvative GXP 1 crankset on my bike. For the most part, I only use the 44T as a bash guard and on gravel roads or pavement. I've been riding this setup for almost a year now and it's starting to show some wear. I'm looking at replacing just the small and middle rings and adding an actual bash guard for the big ring. I'll be keeping the granny at 22T, but going up to a 26T for the middle ring which hopefully won't be too much of a gap.

Look up BBG bashguards. $18 including delivery.

RIngs? Steel granny for sure, I get something cheap, there is not much to a granny. I tend to go with whatever reputable brand middle ring is on sale, I don't see all that much difference in performance (shimano LX, XT, Truvativ, Race Face, FSA have all worked fine). However, I am sticking to steel from now on. Just lasts longer, and usually cheaper.

This should not cost you more than $60-70 to do. No need for a new crankset, IMO.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

psycho cyclo addict
    I run a triple 38/32/20 (steel) Blackspire/RaceFace/Blackspire. Lots more clearance on the big ring as compared to a 44 and I still like having a big ring for occasional use and bash protection for the middle ring. Steel will hold up better than aluminum. RaceFace is fine; Blackspire and Middleburn tend to me a bit more durable in my experience but co$t.