mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Chainring Trouble

I just bought a new 32T LX M580 chainring and when I went to install it I found that it doesn't fit the spider. The old cranks and three front chainrings were bought as a set and they are LX but M571. Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have a fix? It is a 104mm 4 bolt pattern and the holes line up perfectly. Looking at the new and old chainring side by side it is clear that the distance between the bolt hole outcroppings is shorter on the new one by about 1-2 mm. I would have thought that any 104mm 4bolt would fit.
    Thanks for your help.
    Qben

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There's not a fix. I thought the same, and bought the LXM580 to fit a 4 bolt/104mm Deore crankset. They look like they would fit, but don't. I would think a local shop would help with the compatibility issues. I think any other Shimano 4 bolt/104mm would work, but there's something about the M580. I think other manufacturer's same bolt pattern would work also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Qben
    I just bought a new 32T LX M580 chainring and when I went to install it I found that it doesn't fit the spider. The old cranks and three front chainrings were bought as a set and they are LX but M571. Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have a fix? It is a 104mm 4 bolt pattern and the holes line up perfectly. Looking at the new and old chainring side by side it is clear that the distance between the bolt hole outcroppings is shorter on the new one by about 1-2 mm. I would have thought that any 104mm 4bolt would fit.
    Thanks for your help.
    Qben

Dude, your just an idiot! Why don't you just try tightening your training wheels! Or better yet, stay on your tricycle! Whatever you do, stay in your yard and don't endanger the rest of us!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Funny, Tom. I liked the first post you did better though. So, what's your alpaca forum username?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It got deleted....! And, they shut down my alpaca forum... got to mean and nasty!

Members who have read this thread: 0