mtbr member
    Aug 2016

chainring spacer to prevent "cross chain" on 1x10

just upgraded my drive train from 2x10 to 1x10 and when the chain is on the largest cog, the angle from the chainring to the cog is very large, giving me symptons of "cross chaining." when i'm pedaling, i can feel the chain grinding on the gears. when i back pedal, the chain will fall down to the smaller cogs.

i'm running a 32t raceface nw chainring 104 bcd with a sunrace 11-42 10spd cassette and a shimano slx rd on a 2016 orbea occam with 148 BOOST. the chainring is mounted to where the large chainring used to be in the outer position.

are there spacers and chainring bolts that allow me to offset my chainring closer towards the bike to prevent the chain from grinding on the gears? can someone point me in the direction of who makes them or how I can hack this myself?

*edit: one up sells their chainrings with spacers but i can't find what size they are and i can't find where to buy them individually either.
    Last edited by beerdles; 09-12-2016 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Chainring is usually mounted on the inside of the spider - where the middle ring would be.
    If you have spacers on your BB on a Shimano setup, you can move some of the spacers to the non-drive side.
    Otherwise you can buy chainring spacers.

mtbr member
    If you do space it over make sure the bolts are long enough for full engagement. Other options that involve more $$$-

What kind of crankset? If direct mount style then that could be a better option. Also the inside ring (64bcd) position is very good chainline but 30t is the max available for that size.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I'm running a Sram 2200 2x as a 1x. I'm using the 64BCD interface for my chainring, gives me a better chain line.

chainring spacers - Bing
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    i've already got the 104bcd chainring so i don't want to buy another, i'd like to make it work.

the crankset is SLX 2x

mtbr member
    I'd try moving the drive side bottom bracket washer(s) to the non-drive side.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I like use Truvativ chainring bolts to adapt 2x cranksets because they come with a 2.5mm spacer that allows me the space the ring over for better chainline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I like use Truvativ chainring bolts to adapt 2x cranksets because they come with a 2.5mm spacer that allows me the space the ring over for better chainline.
    Cool advice. I didn't know that. I have always been using Cro-Mo BMX bolts my whole life, time to try something new.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You've gotta space that CR inwards on a 2x crank. I used longer CR bolts (10mm I believe), and used 3 AN washers for about .186" of inward spacing. Every frame and BB spacing is a little different, so I just added spacers until my chainline was about right in the middle of the cassette. YMMV. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just thought id throw my 2c into the mix here-- hope this helps..

Im running sram xx1 cranks...But what i did, would be similar to what your wanting to do.. When i got my kona process 111 i noticed the chain would jump off the top gears WAY to easy(1/4 turn and it would pop off).. I looked, and the chain was no where near center on the cassette in the middle gear(as it should be).. After talking to everyone who basically said there was nothing i could do("they all do that bro")-- i pulled out my macgyver hat and went to work.. What i ended up doing was --- drilling out the direct mount front front ring using a round file on my drill(to get the hole big enough for crank bolts)-- turned the ring around so the flat side was against the spider-- added 3mill 2x spacers and used regular chain ring bolts to attach the ring back to the spider.. So far-- this has worked great.. I can usually go back 3 or 4 full turns and then sometimes it will jump a gear and sometimes not.. But it reduced the cross chain effect by quite a bit.. I can post pics if anyone wants but im sure you get the idea.. I have done this on 2 rings(wore out the first one) with this same bike and its worked great with .. both..