Just ride.
    Mar 2007

Chainring purchase help

Hey guys... been lurking on the boards here for a while and finally decided to register.

I have an '06 IronHorse Warrior and just bought a bashguard to replace my outer ring for 2 pretty legit reasons. I don't use it, and it's taken a beating on many rocks and logs up here in New England.
    I was just looking at my bike today, and saw I have 3 teeth missing on the middle chainring. I might change up the sizing, but does anyone have a recommendation of a good chainring set to purchase, and anything I should look out for? A pretty newbie question, but will any chainring "fit" ok? It's a stock FSA Gamma crank 104 BCD.

I figured I may as well replace these now before the snow melts.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

MTJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

A rambling answer

Welcome aboard. I will not proclaim to be an expert in matters of the 4 bolt 104mm BCD chainring, but I figure it's your first post so somebody better answer you . . . .

Basically, any 104mm BCD ring should fit. I believe there are a couple of exceptions (XTR? Is that 104mm?) but otherwise your standard Race Face/FSA/Truvativ/Salsa chainrings will all work fine. As far as size, don't go more than 2 teeth bigger or smaller; a bigger change will throw your shifting off pretty bad (then again with only 2 rings that discrepancy may be minimized and you might be ok). As far as a brand, any of the ones I mentioned above will work fine, as will many many others - just look for rings that are ramped and pinned. I had a set of rings with no ramps and no pins and even with an XTR derailleur they shifted horribly. Now that you have a bashguard you don't really need to worry about overall strength of the ring, so again any name brancd ring with pins and ramps should work fine. Do you like the FSA ring you have? Would you want to just replace like with like? That's usually a good bet.

I don't know that this is a 100% answer to your question, but hopefully I at least got the discussion off the ground for you.

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    Hi MTJ,

Thanks for the reply
    I had searched the boards a bit on the topic, and really didn't come up with much of anything. I have been looking at the "popular" brands that people seem to mention on here (raceface, salsa), mainly just to see if they said anything on their site of what to look for. Seems the rings should be pretty universal, so I don't expect an issue like you said.

Regarding the FSA rings that came on the bike, I can't honestly give an opinion because I *know* I hit them a handful of times on some large rocks. It's just a fact of the trails that I ride, so losing the big ring and adding my bashguard will be a good improvement for this season. So I'm sure replacing it with a like ring will do fine with the bashguard as you said.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    just one more thing to add if you havent done it already. change out your chain and cassette. if your chain has anything more than 1/16th of stretch in a 12" section your new replacement chainrings will wear down very quickly. it will be a pricey fix now, but if you stay on top of just the chain for future replacements you wont have to replace the rest of the drive train every time. check out sheldon browns explaination of it.
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS