mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Chainring out of true

I just put on new Blackspire rings and noticed the big ring is out of true. i.e. it doesn't rotate in one plane. Installation/BB/crankarms/chainring bolts appear correct. Does anyone know if this self corrects with use?

Larry

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by lghbnr
    I just put on new Blackspire rings and noticed the big ring is out of true. i.e. it doesn't rotate in one plane. Installation/BB/crankarms/chainring bolts appear correct. Does anyone know if this self corrects with use?

Larry
    It's bent and you need to bend it back. Why would it correct itself? Straightening chainrings is tricky and in most cases it will never be truly straight again. The best you can hope for is mostly straight or less bent or straight enough. Good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    When rings are heat treated, many of them bend out of round. Put a bunch of them on a flat surface and you will likely see this. When we install them, the 4 or 5 chain ring bolts usually get them back into round. Of those that don't return to round, generally speaking, you can still ride them. My question is whether anyone has found they return more to round when ridden. The one I installed is banging the chain on my front der, even with my best der adjustment. I would rather ride it 'til it fit than strip the crank down again. Sorry about the confusion.

Larry

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you can "true" a chainring like you can true a disc brake rotor- bend it with an adjustable wrench. take it easy though, they're aluminum. i've not done it on dh rings if that's what your blackspire's are- might be more difficult. there's a chance the spider is bent if you've landed hard on a big strong bashguard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks. I think it might be the spider. More expenses!

Larry