Thread: Chainring help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Chainring help!

I have next Lp compact cranks. I am trying for either 29/44, 28/42 or 30/44 rings. Where can I get these?

Do I need a 94mm for the big and 58mm for the small or can I get 94mm for both rings?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    assuming yer talking 'oldschool' 5-arm, right?
    big & middle are 94mm BCD, granny is 58.
    I don't know if anything smaller than a 29 or 30 will fit in the middle position. There's some threads about 29t 'middle' rings over on the 29er board... xtralite is one of the manufacturers, maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by gdunha
    I have next Lp compact cranks. I am trying for either 29/44, 28/42 or 30/44 rings. Where can I get these?

Do I need a 94mm for the big and 58mm for the small or can I get 94mm for both rings?

Thanks for the help!
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    assuming yer talking 'oldschool' 5-arm, right?
    big & middle are 94mm BCD, granny is 58.
    I don't know if anything smaller than a 29 or 30 will fit in the middle position. There's some threads about 29t 'middle' rings over on the 29er board... xtralite is one of the manufacturers, maybe?

Yes it is 5-arm and I only want to run two rings. So in a triple the two 94mm arms are attached to the crank in the big circle and the granny to the 58mm cirlce.

So if I run a two ring set-up I am looking at a 94mm middle ring in 42 or 44 and a small 58mm ring in 29 or 27?

Or

I run an outer in 94mm and 42 or 44 and a middle in 27,29 or 30.

Which of these two scenarios shift better??

Thanks for the help!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Depends...

Where do you envision yourself riding most of the time, in your outer or inner ring? If in the outer then I'd use one 94 'ring and one 58 'ring. If you'll be in the inner most of the time then use 2 94mm 'rings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Where do you envision yourself riding most of the time, in your outer or inner ring? If in the outer then I'd use one 94 'ring and one 58 'ring. If you'll be in the inner most of the time then use 2 94mm 'rings.

For most MTB I am in the 29 ring, but I do adventure race as well and can spend alot of time in the 44 ring.

Shayne is the choice you reccomend because of chainline??

Also if I use the outer as a 94 and a 58 inner what happens to the space that used to be taken up by the middle ring???

Thanks for the help.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Yes, my recommendations were based on chainline.

If you were to use an inner ring and 1 94mm ring you'd mount it where the middle ring is now and wither use spacers on the outside of the spider or shorter chainring bolts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks

Thanks Shayne!

You got me thinking on the right track. I want to do two 94mm rings because I will be using a 108mm bottom bracket to move the chainline in.

What do you do about the holes that are there for the 58mm ring???

Is there a better crankarm for this conversion?? A road crank?? Anyone??