mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Chainring difference

I've been going through the Shimano and Sram documents trying to find an answer but to no avail. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. If I were to run an e.13 DRS what is the maximum difference that I can run between the no. of teeth of the inner and middle ring whilst maintaining a clean shift. The Shimano technical docs give you a "Min. difference between top and intermediate" and also "Front chainwheel tooth difference" but neither is what I want. I would guess about 12 teeth.

MTJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

A little confused

I'm trying to figure out why this post hasn't been picked up in the last 2 days and I'm beginning to think that I'm not alone. I have no idea what "an e.13 DRS " is, and I'm thinking that other people on this board don't either.

Typically a mtb derailleur gives you about 12 teeth to play with and a road derailleur gives you about 14 teeth (39/53 is a standard road double).

Can you give us some more info, or did this answer your question?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have run 46/28 straight cut rings and had it shift like throwing a light switch. YMMV especially if you have never used non-indexed shifters.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common