Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chainring compatibality problems

892 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rod 
#1 ·
I had a tooth broken off my middle ring and my chain slipped b/c of it last summer while riding. I decided to get it replaced at the lbs and he asks me you want the same ring or a different one. I decide to go with a different brand because I thought the old one was weak for breaking. Fast forward first ride it won't upshift properly and I experience chain suck for the first time in 2 years. I take it into the shop and he says I was afraid it wasn't compatible. He adjusts the front derailleur and I try it out in the parking lot. It seems to be okay after I play with the barrel adjuster for a little while. I've ridden it a few times since then and when I shift from the replaced middle chainring onto the lower ring I experience chain suck, but not all the time. The chain is getting caught between the middle and lower ring when I have the front derailleur adjusted to the best of my ability. I played with the barrel adjuster on the way off the hill today and the chain was jumping onto the frame. If I buy the matching chainring all of my problems will be solved like before? I don't want to waste 40 more dollars if it won't solve the problem and I can easily install the ring myself. Has anyone else had this experience? Last question are all of the spacers between the rings the same? It appears that my middle and large ring are much closer than my middle and small ring. As always thanks for your help and sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as many details as possible.

See less See more
#2 ·
all rings are not compatible, without specific brands and models its hard to be specific, but the original shoud work fine if all else is right

BTW I would have the lbs replace it for free or get it to work for free, they have been paid for a job not done right

#3 ·
In my experience....

when replacing chain rings it is better not to mix and match brands. If you are going from say Shimano rings but only need one chainring, stick with Shimano rings to replace the single ring. If you want to try something else then replace the rings as a set, i.e. go all Race Face or whatever. And as dano pointed out, not all brands rings are compatable with one another.

As for the spacing betweent he small and middle rings, it may or may not be right. It's common for the small ring to be spaced a bit further away from the middle ring than the middle ring is from the big ring. Or at least for it to appear to be so. This is because the small ring has not shift ramps, pins, and profiling of the ring body that the large and middle rings have. So the small ring appears thinner or futher away from the middle ring than the big ring appears to be. I'd have to see the rings and actaully measure the distances between them to be sure. But, if your crank set uses spacers or the chainring bolts themselves to position the rings, there are different sizes of spacers for 7/8speed rings and 9 speed rings. The 9 speed spacers are slightly narrower to accomodate the narrower 9 speed chains. This usually doesn't create a problem, but it can. If the chain is getting stuck between the middle and small ring then it's likely that there is a spacing issue of some sort between the two. It could be incorrect spacers or simple incompatability between the parts.

I'd get the LBS to sort it out, or at least try.

Good Dirt

#4 ·
It was a mix of race face 104 rings with a middle truvativ steel ring. I never had a problem until now. The first day I got some terrible chain suck within a quarter mile of being on the trail, but the shop was closed so I couldn't take it back. I took it back the next day did a lot of fine tune adjusting out in the parking lot and it worked okay for one ride. NOw I experience chain suck at least once or twice a ride and like I said after I barely moved the barrel adjuster it's terrible. I'm just frustrated and now I don't even want to ride the bike. I believe the spacing is correct, but I was just pointing out my observations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.