Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chainring and chain drop

559 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  peterk123 
#1 ·
I hope you guys can help. I am running a single chainring upfront, a 28 tooth Absolute Black. It is used on a hardtail frame. I continue to have chain drop issues, sometimes while shifting in technical sections, sometimes when just bombing down a bony trail. I run a small cage sram derailleur (the model that keeps high chain tension). I think my chain line is decent. Pretty much perfectly straight back when shifted to the middle range of the cogs.

I made a home made chain guide, which does a pretty good job and just attached a small pulley with a zip tie to the chainstay to tension the chain. It will probably work fine but I just feel like should not have to this with this chainring.

ANy thoughts what causes the problem? Is it the size of the ring? Or maybe the teeth just do not hole the chain as well as the claim?

Thanks Pete

#5 ·
Sounds like your system is similar to mine. I run a 29T alloy chainring, good chainline. I still drop chains though. For me, the biggest culpret is any sort of back-pedaling during technical areas. Swapping to a NW ring will help, but so would using a chainring with longer teeth. Also check your chainring for wear and file out any gouges. Mine is showing heavy gouging after only a couple hundred miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.